FAIFE is an initiative within IFLA to defend and promote the basic human rights defined in Article 19 of the United Nations Universal Declaration of Human Rights. The FAIFE Committee furthers freedom of access to information and freedom of expression in all aspects, directly or indirectly, related to libraries and librarianship. FAIFE monitors the state of intellectual freedom within the library community world-wide, supports IFLA policy development and co-operation with other international human rights organisations, and responds to violations of free access to information and freedom of expression.
- Intellectual freedom is the right of every individual to both hold and express opinions and to seek and receive information.
- Intellectual freedom is the basis of democracy.
- Intellectual freedom is the core of the library concept.
More about Libraries and Intellectual Freedom
General introduction to the mission and activities of the IFLA / FAIFE initiative:
- International Human Rights Conventions and Declarations
- Intellectual Freedom Statements of other International Organizations
- Intellectual Freedom & Human Rights Organizations
- Alert Services
- World Reports on Human Rights
- Human Rights Resourceson the Net
- Internet Censorship, filtering and rating
Join the international Internet mailing list that focuses on libraries, librarianship and intellectual freedom issues, including IFLA/FAIFE services and activities. FAIFE-L aims to be an open forum for sharing information and debate.
The purpose of this list is good communication between the members and corresponding members of the FAIFE Committee.
The difficulties of attending committee meetings are considerable and swift communication and consultation is often necessary. This list is intended to increase the effectiveness of the FAIFE Committee.
CUBA-L is FAIFE's mailing list on freedom of access to information and freedom of expression in Cuba.
The CUBA-L will specifically focus on intellectual freedom issues in relation to libraries and librarianship in Cuba; and aims to be a forum for communication, exchange of information and professional debate.
Quotes on Intellectual Freedom and Censorship (old site)
Free shareware images / GIFs related to Intellectual Freedom and Censorship (old site)
IFLA / FAIFE Postcard
A Postcard with the text of article 19 in calligraphy (old site)
IFLA / FAIFE Bookmark
A Bookmark with a censored excerpt of The IFLA Statement on Libraries and Intellectual Freedom (old site)
Last update: 24 March 2014