Permanent UNIMARC Committee (PUC)
The Permanent UNIMARC Committee (PUC) was formed in 1991, in accordance with resolution No. 5 issued at the Seminar on Bibliographic Records held in Stockholm before the IFLA General Conference, August 1990. The main objective of the PUC is to control the UNIMARC format in accordance with the principles of Universal Bibliographic Control.
The PUC consists of a minimum of 7 and no more than 9 standing members, who are experts in UNIMARC and come from different countries and institutions having active UNIMARC experience. A maximum of 12 corresponding experts may be appointed for a two-year term by the Committee in consultation with the IFLA UNIMARC Strategic Programme to represent other geographical areas of UNIMARC expertise.
- Interim Chair: Maria Inês Cordeiro, Portugal
- Vice Chair: Jay Weitz, USA
- Rosa Galvão, Portugal
- Massimo Gentili-Tedeschi, Italy
- Olga Zhlobinskaya, Russia
- Philippe Le Pape, France
- Liuba Buckiene, Lithuania
- Ben Gu, China
- Gordana Mazić, Slovenia
- Honorary member and special consultant: Mirna Willer, Croatia
- Corresponding member: Yannis Tavé, ISSN, France
Since 2003 the PUC has been functioning within the UNIMARC Strategic Programme. For earlier UNIMARC activities see the Universal Bibliographic Control and International MARC Core Activity (UBCIM).
Terms of Reference
The main objective of the PUC is to maintain and develop the UNIMARC formats. In this role, the PUC
- Maintains the UNIMARC format by discussing proposals documented by the UNIMARC Office on behalf of UNIMARC users and officially approving changes to the format. It liaises with Bibliography, Cataloguing and Classification & Indexing Sections, as well as with related Review Groups, on matters of mutual interest.
- Reviews the further development of the UNIMARC format to encompass new functions and new forms of materials and officially approves the results.
- Acts as a review committee for UNIMARC documentation published by IFLA.
The Permanent UNIMARC Committee meets once a year, usually at the UNIMARC Strategic Programme venue, in Lisbon, Portugal. Reports from the meetings are available online:
- 26th PUC Meeting, 2016, April 4-6 (Report)
- 25th PUC Meeting, 2015 March 30-31
- 24th PUC Meeting, 2014 May, 12-13
- 23rd PUC Meeting, 2012 March 12-13
- 22nd PUC Meeting, 2011 March 14-15
- 21th PUC Meeting, 2010 March 29-30
- 20th PUC Meeting, 2009 March 9-10
- 19th PUC Meeting, 2008 March 12-13
- 18th PUC Meeting, 2007 March 12-14
- 17th PUC Meeting, 2006 March 22-24
- 16th PUC Meeting, 2005 March 7-9
- 15th PUC Meeting, 2004 March 15-17
- 14th PUC Meeting, 2003 February 3-4
The PUC is responsible for the preparation and dissemination of IFLA publications and other documentation regarding UNIMARC.
See the complete information regarding UNIMARC publications.
Related UNIMARC and MARC Resources
- Comité français UNIMARC (CfU)
- MARC Standards / Library of Congress Network Development and MARC Standards Office
- Machine-Readable Bibliographic Information (MARBI) Committee
- Canadian Committee on MARC
- OCLC Bibliographic Formats and Standards
UNIMARC is easy to use and provides a flexible record structure. If you are a UNIMARC user or if you would like to become one and have questions about its application or if you have suggestions to make, please contact the PUC Chair or the IFLA UNIMARC Core Activity Director.
Maria Inês Cordeiro
Director, IFLA UNIMARC Strategic Programme
Interim Chair, Permanent UNIMARC Committee
National Library of Portugal
Campo Grande, 83, 1749-081 Lisbon
Tel. +351 217982022
Fax +351 217982140
Last update: 12 August 2016