Satellite Conference: History of Librarianship
History of Librarianship
25 – 26 August 2014
Université de Lyon-École nationale supérieure des sciences de l'information et des bibliothèques, Lyon-Villeurbanne, France
Organized by IFLA Rare Books and Manuscripts Section, IFLA Library History Special Interest Group, and Centre Gabriel Naudé.
The aim of the conference is to provide a comparative history of librarianship. It will seek to highlight not only the history of practices and motivations driving the profession but to also reflect theoretically on the divergent views among librarians in their role of gatekeepers to knowledge on the one hand and serving specific audiences to facilitate access on the other.
The conference will focus on the following topics:
- The development of library education
- Professional publications
- Theoretical reflections
- The actions and activities of groups and organizations
- Organizational and institutional development
- Discord and continuities that reflect difference between the expectations of librarians and their public
- The role of IFLA and national and international associations
- Internationalization of librarianship
Registration is free and must be done online at the congress website.
Letzte Aktualisierung: 10 März 2020