IFLA Green Library Award
sponsored by De Gruyter
What is a Green Library?
The consideration of the role of humanity in climate change and the notion of sustainable development are core concerns of society, and consequently of libraries.”
According to the Online Dictionary for Library and Information Science (ODLIS), Green Libraries are “designed to minimize negative impact on the natural environment and maximize indoor environmental quality by means of careful site selection, use of natural construction materials and biodegradable products, conservation of resources (water, energy, paper), and responsible waste disposal (recycling, etc.)”
They also focus on related services, activities, events, literature and projects, demonstrating the social role and responsibility of libraries as leaders in environmental sustainability.
Objectives of the IFLA Green Library Award
- To reward the best Green Library submission that communicates the library’s commitment to environmental sustainability
- To create awareness of libraries’ social responsibility and leadership in environmental education. Libraries of all types are encouraged to participate
To support the worldwide Green Library movement, concerned with
- environmentally sustainable buildings
- environmentally sustainable information resources and programming
- conservation of resources and energy
- To promote the development of Green Libraries initiatives locally and worldwide
- To encourage Green Libraries to actively present their activities to an international audience
Relevance to IFLA’s goals and values
Following the IFLA Statement on Libraries and Sustainable Development, the award will help to advance the profession through illuminating the role of libraries and librarians in the advancement of sustainability standards and the promotion of specialized knowledge within professional practice.
ENSULIB announces 6th IFLA Green Library Award 2021 in Two Categories
- IFLA Green Library Award 2021 Announcement (released December 2020)
- Green Library Award 2021 (Longlist released April 2021)
- Green Library Award 2021 (Shortlist, released May 2021)
Past Award winners
Última actualización: 29 Mayo 2021