4 Junio 2017
WLIC 2017 - Government and Parliamentary Libraries: Supporting UN Sustainable Development Goals
The Government Libraries, Library and Research Services for Parliaments and Law Libraries Sections invite to the session 191 of the IFLA World Library and Information Congress 2017 - #WLIC2017, to be held in Wroclaw, Poland.
The session aims to address the ways that Government Libraries and Parliaments providing information services collaborate and promote the UN Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) at national and local levels.
The SDGs are an ambitious set of 17 goals and 169 targets, a plan of action for strengthening universal peace in larger freedom. As the SDGs is a framework that will shape the progress of development in the next years, IFLA is particularly involved with Target 16.10: Ensure public access to information and protect fundamental freedoms.
Date: Wednesday 23 August 2017, 09:30 - 11:30, Multifunctional Hall.
Chair: Anoja Fernando (United Kingdom); Guillermo A. García (Peru)
Nick Poole, Chief Executive of CILIP, the library and information association of the United Kingdom, will deliver the keynote address featuring the Facts Matter campaign. Followed by short presentations:
- Relevance of the Parliament Library and the Information Professionals in Promoting United Nations Sustainable Development Goals in Kenya / Winnie Morogo (Parliament Library, Kenya)
- The Role of Libraries in the Provision of Climate Change Information: Case Study of Malawi / George G. Makhalira (Nkhoma University, Malawi)
- Catalan Government Libraries Supporting United Nations’ Objectives for Sustainable Development / Miguel Navas-Fernández (Library Service of the Catalan Government, Spain)
- FEDLINK’s American Indian Libraries Initiative (AILI) / Carla Davis-Castro (Library of Congress, United States)
- Evidence Informed Policy Making in Parliaments to Support the SDGs / Emily Hayter (INASP, United Kingdom); Rasheed Draman (African Centre for Parliamentary Affairs (ACEPA), Ghana); John Bagonza (Research Services - Parliament of the Republic of Uganda)
Themes picked from the presentations will be followed by a Knowledge Cafe discussion, with speakers joining tables facilitated by Goverment Libraries and Parliamentary Libraries Standing Committee members. Facilitators will report back to inform the post conference Satellite Meeting in Berlin, hosted by Government Libraries Section.
We encourage information professionals attending the conference to be part of the session.
More information: WLIC 2017 Conference Programme.
Update 18 August, 2017: Available a post blog with summaries of all presentations prepared for the session.