23 Febrero 2015
Call for members: new Linked Data Technical Sub-Committee
The IFLA Committee on Standards is forming a new Sub-Committee ‑- the Linked Data Technical Sub-Committee (LIDATEC) -- to replace the Namespaces Task Group and seeks nominations by Monday 23 March 2015.
This Sub-Committee will meet in person only once per year during the WLIC but will work virtually during the year. It will report to the Standards Committee.
Up to six members will be selected, mainly on the basis of their expertise, and will be appointed for two years, renewable once. From these nominations a Chair will be selected.
The responsibilities of the Sub-Committee are as follows:
- Coordinate the development of namespaces by IFLA groups who wish to publish standards in a linked data form.
- Develop and promote guidelines for the efficient and effective management of IFLA namespaces.
- Discuss and formulate the framework for a namespace registration system for IFLA standards.
- Develop training materials for units wishing to publish their standards in namespace registry
- Oversee the development of infrastructure to support the efficient and effective management of IFLA namespaces.
- Support the Committee on Standards in areas of linked data and the Semantic Web.
- Act as liaison with non-IFLA groups involved in the organization of information as linked data in the Semantic Web.
- Promote and make more visible the IFLA namespaces and encourage their use in all appropriate communities.
All members are expected to assist and support IFLA professional units in the publication of their standards as linked data.
The full terms of reference for the Committee are online at: http://www.ifla.org/node/9428
There is no funding available to support the work of this Committee at present so members of the Committee must be able to fund their own travel and other expenses in relation to the meeting and work of the group.
Please send nominations for this Committee to Joanne Yeomans, the Professional Support Officer. Nominations should comprise of:
- the name and institutional/company affiliation of the nominee,
- a short explanation of the background and experience of the person relevant to this committee (experience in IFLA, and professional experience and knowledge particularly in the area of linked data and RDF publishing),
- the nominee’s motivation for joining the Committee,
- the nominee’s relationship to an IFLA Member Association or Institution (if any), name of the relevant Member and IFLA Membership number.
The details of nominees may be shared with the Professional Committee, the Committee on Standards, and Standing Committee members of relevant IFLA professional units.
Persons selected for the Committee will be informed before 15 May, the deadline for early registration for the World Library and Information Congress 2015
If you have further questions about the committee and member responsibilities, please contact Patrice Landry, Chair of the Committee on Standards (contact can be made via Joanne Yeomans).