E4GDH & HBS webinar: Combating digital health inequality in the time of coronavirus
The first joint E4GDH and HBS webinar took place on 23 April 2020. Bob Gann was the presenter.
Bob described how community organisations including libraries have worked to support people who might otherwise be excluded. This has been achieved by providing access to technology and building digital skills, confidence and digital health literacy. He concludes with actions being taken now, during the global health crisis, to ensure those who most need information and support are not left behind in the digital age. The presentation generated lots of questions. Bob responded to some during the webinar, and all the questions with his answers are included below.
The webinar is 50 minutes long.
Subtitles / closed captions are available - click on Settings then Subtitles/CC and select 'English'.
- Presentation slides [PDF]
- Full transcript (in English) [PDF]
- Traducción de la transcripción (en español) [PDF)
- Questions & Answers [PDF]
Bob has developed the following list of resources to accompany his presentation
Gann, B. (2019) Transforming lives: combating digital health inequality
IFLA Journal 45(3): 189-97
This was part of a special issue of IFLA Journal from the Health and Biosciences Libraries section: Health information transforming lives.
Digital health literacy
- Kickbusch, I et al (2013) Health literacy: the solid facts. WHO
Brach, C et al (2012) Ten attributes of health literate health care organisations
Institute of Medicine of the National Academies
Digital inclusion initiatives in UK
- NHS Widening Digital Participation Programme
- Good Things Foundation
- Citizens Online
- Digital Unite
- 100% Digital Leeds
- Digital Communities Wales
Online digital skills training
Tackling fake news and misinformation
- NHS website
- WHO Myth Busters
- PHE Library and Knowledge Services
- Health Education England Knowledge and Library Services
- CILIP Coronavirus Information Service
- ORCHA Covid-19 App Formulary
- IFLA How to spot fake news
Doctors of the World, 2020 (information in 48 languages)
Mobilising community resources
- NHS Wales Video Consulting Service
- Digital Communities Wales distributes devices
- Guides to video consultation
Supporting the most vulnerable
Voice activated devices:
- 92-year-old Pat uses Amazon Echo and iPad to boost her wellbeing
- Smart speakers project to advance elderly care across Cornwall
- NHS health information available through Amazon's Alexa
How to guides
- Digital inclusion guide for health and social care (England)
- Digital inclusion guide for health and care in Wales
23 April 2020
Our thanks to Healthcare Information For All (HIFA) online forum for hosting a discussion exploring issues relating to the theme of the webinar. Dr Karishma Kurup kindly summarised this in short and full versions.
Join here: www.hifa.org/joinhifa
Bob Gann is an independent consultant, specialising in digital inclusion and combating digital health inequalities. He works as a Digital Inclusion Specialist for the National Health Service (NHS) with organisations including NHS Digital, Public Health England and Digital Communities Wales. He trained as a healthcare librarian and was Strategy Director for the NHS website.
Última actualización: 13 Octubre 2020