Information for Development: Delivering on the Buenos Aires Declaration
16 Juillet 2019
Permanent Mission of Argentina to the United Nations, New York, United States
IFLA will be represented by President Glòria Pérez-Salmerón, Secretary General Gerald Leitner, Manager Policy and Advocacy Stephen Wyber and Communications Officer Maria Violeta Bertolini
The possibility to find, use and create information is an essential, but often overlooked foundation of development.
Whenever someone looks for a job or training opportunities, explores how to eat more healthily and live more sustainably, carries out a literature review as part of a research project, or accesses government information to see if decision-makers are doing what they promised, they are benefitting from the possibility to access information.
Yet this is not a reality for everyone, risking leaving people on the wrong side of an information divide. If we are to achieve the Sustainable Development Goals, a comprehensive approach to providing access to information is a necessary first step.
The Buenos Aires Declaration, launched on 22 May at the Forum of Ministers of Culture of Latin America and the Caribbean, underlines the commitment of thirteen signatory countries to guaranteeing this access, and in particular to working through libraries to make it a reality for everyone.
This meeting will present the Declaration, discuss its relevance in the context of the focus SDGs at the 2019 High Level Political Forum, and discuss how to pass from declaration to action.
- Ambassador Martín García Moritán, Permanent Representative of Argentina to the United Nations
- Gabriela Agosto, Executive Secretary, National Coordinating Council for Social Policies, Argentina
- Alejandro Santa, General Coordinating Director, Library of the Congress of the Argentine Nation
- Glòria Pérez-Salmerón, President, International Federation of Library Associations and Institutions
- Gerald Leitner, Secretary General, International Federation of Library Associations and Institutions
The event will take place at the Permanent Mission of Argentina to the United Nations, 1 United Nations Plaza, New York, NY 10017, USA on 16 July, from 18:30 to 20:00 hs. To register, please contact: DA2I@ifla.org. Space is limited.
Dernière mise à jour: 15 juillet 2019