Call for candidates for co-opted members of the Sub-Saharan Africa Regional Division Committee
13 agosto 2022
Candidacies are welcomed for up to 8 positions as co-opted members of IFLA’s incoming Sub-Saharan Africa Regional Division Committee.
Alongside other Members of the Committee, successful candidates are responsible for:
- working together to develop and deliver action plans responding to the needs of the library field in their region and review progress on delivering the IFLA Strategy;
- building capacity to advocate at all levels, and identify and work on advocacy priorities, cooperating with Sections and Advisory Committees, as well as other organisations, and also contribute actively to efforts to engage Members in the region;
- building awareness of IFLA’s work, and reach out to non-Members.
As with other members of the Committee, in addition to being based in the region (see list of countries), they are expected to be able to show:
- an interest and experience in library policies and advocacy;
- expertise, experience and interest in/across libraries in the region;
- ability to represent the interests of a diverse range of colleagues;
- experience in communication, representation and networking;
- willingness and ability to devote time and energy to the role – this is usually several hours per month;
- time allowance to prepare and attend meetings of the Regional Division Council;
- an ability to act with respect, trust, confidentiality and transparency and recognize the need to protect personal and privileged information.
- They must declare any conflicts of interest and abstain from discussions where they have a conflict or potential conflict of interest.
The purpose of co-option is to increase the range and diversity of experience and expertise in the Committee. Following consultation with the incoming Chair of the Committee, as well as the Chair of the Regional Council, candidacies are therefore particularly welcomed from:
- Countries (and language groups) which are not currently represented on the Committee (see the list of elected members)
- Representatives of strong library associations and those with experience of committee working in general
- Individuals with particular technical experience which could help the Committee, such as in IT
Candidates should submit a statement of up to 200 words explaining their experience and motivation for standing for the Committee by 6pm CEST on 30 September 2021 (see what time this is for you). Candidates should apply using this form.
The Chair of the Committee will make an initial selection from the candidacies received, which will be approved by the Regional Council.