Professional Section Committee Member
To serve August 2023-August 2027
IFLA has 42 Professional Section Standing Committees. They are supported by their Professional Division Committee Chair and work to provide practical outputs in the Committee’s area of expertise, aligned to the organisation’s strategic plan. They respond to relevant questions and requests from IFLA HQ related to this expertise.
Each committee, works to raise awareness of their subject focus of the Section inside the library field and beyond, cooperating with other committees and groups as appropriate.
Positions available: Each Professional Section shall elect a Standing Committee of no fewer than ten (10) and no more than twenty (20) persons. The number of vacancies in each election cycle can vary by Professional Section.
Term of office: four (4) years. Renewable once, although individuals need to stand again for re-election.
Nominations required: one (1)
Who can nominate:
Registered Members and Affiliates, i.e., organisations, institutions and individuals who are registered as members of each Professional Section.
Eligible nominees: Anyone who can meet the expectations.
Expectations of Candidates
Skills and attributes: A candidate for this position should be able to demonstrate:
- Expertise and experience in the thematic focus of the Section.
- Ability to integrate diverse perspectives and to collaborate virtually and in person with a diverse range of colleagues.
- Proven record of developing ideas and successfully designing, organising and producing practical outputs which support the work of the library field.
- Motivation and ability to devote time and energy to the role outside of their local time zone’s typical work hours – this can be 5-10 hours per month.
- Time allowance to prepare and attend virtual meetings of the Section Standing Committee which are held across a global set of time zones.
- An ability to act with respect, trust, confidentiality and transparency and recognise the need to protect personal and privileged information. They must declare any conflicts of interest and abstain from discussions where they have a conflict or potential conflict of interest.
Candidate statement: A statement of up to 200 words is requested with the nominee consent form.
Elections in writing will take place.
Who can vote: Members and Affiliates vote for their registered Sections.
How do I find a nominator?
We recommend that you contact the Chair or Secretary of the Section in which you have an interest. They will be able to put you in touch with a member registered for the Section you are seeking nomination.
How do I submit my nominee form?
Those wishing to stand as a candidate will need to submit a nominee form for this position. This should be done once nominators have been found. In this form you will be asked to provide a statement of up to 200 words describing how you demonstrate the skills and attributes required.
A nomination only becomes valid when there is a match between the number of required nominations and a completed nominee form.
Section Standing Committee Member Vacancies 2023-2027
|Section||Number of vacancies|
|Academic and Research Libraries||7|
|Acquisition and Collection Development||11|
|Audiovisual and Multimedia||12|
|Continuing Professional Development & Workplace Learning||14|
|Document Delivery and Resource Sharing||5|
|Education and Training||11|
|Environment, Sustainability & Libraries||2|
|Government Information and Official Publications||12|
|Health and Biosciences Libraries||14|
|Libraries for Children and Young Adults||10|
|Libraries Services to People with Special Needs||6|
|Libraries Serving Persons with Print Disabilities||13|
|Library and Research Services for Parliaments||10|
|Library Buildings and Equipment||13|
|Library Services to Multicultural Populations||9|
|Library Theory and Research||10|
|Literacy and Reading||11|
|Local History and Genealogy||6|
|Management and Marketing||14|
|Management of Library Associations||13|
|Preservation and Conservation||7|
|Rare Books and Special Collections||15|
|Reference and Information Services||11|
|Science and Technology Libraries||10|
|Serials and Other Continuing Resources||11|
|Social Science Libraries||15|
|Statistics and Evaluation||10|
|Subject Analysis and Access||7|
Learn more about the remit and role of Professional Section Standing Committee in Rule 21.1.2 of the IFLA Rules of Procedure.