Presidential Elections 2009-2011
Statement of Candidacy for IFLA President-Elect
To serve as President 2011-2013
Jesús Lau (Mexico)
Director, USBI VER Library
Av. Ruiz Cortines y Juan Pablo II
94294 Boca del Rio, Veracruz, México
Tel. (52)(229) 7752021
Fax +(52)(229) 7752000, Ext: 22102
Theme: Information Inclusion: From the Local Community to the Global World
Imagine a unified voice to spread IFLA's global mission. Imagine a strong unified international voice to define and promote libraries and library staff. Imagine "Information Inclusion" from the remote local community to the global world.
Through my leadership roles in various international library organizations, I am aware of the critical issues libraries face and am ready to address IFLA's global challenges. I bring strong IFLA experience, serving in different positions at the section and division level. As information officer, secretary, and most recently chair, I have enabled the Information Literacy Section to play a more vital role in the world. During my tenure, with UNESCO funding, I led the following information literacy efforts:
- Guidelines that have been translated into seven different languages;
- An international resources and best practices directory;
- An ongoing worldwide state-of-the art report;
- An international logo selected among 190 proposals from 37 countries; and
- A book published in 2008.
Serving on the IFLA Governing Board has given me a broader association perspective. It has equipped me with the necessary expertise for the next level of leadership: IFLA President-Elect.
As President, I would be committed to Information Inclusion by doing the following:
- Promoting the importance of Information Literacy as a means to bridge the information gap;
- Strengthening IFLA's work on advocacy, standards, and guidelines; and
- Encouraging greater participation of members from emerging economies.
Let's create a unified voice to spread IFLA's global mission. Let’s continue building a unified international voice that defines and promotes libraries and library staff. Let's promote information inclusion throughout the world. With your votes, I pledge to work hard to make this imagined future a reality.
For more information, please visit my website at www.jesuslau.com/ifla
Last update: 5 October 2012