4 January 2013
Call for nominations: IFLA Committee on Copyright and other Legal Matters (CLM)
Term of office: August 2013 – August 2017
On behalf of the Governing Board of IFLA, I am writing to invite you to nominate an individual to a place on the IFLA/CLM Committee.
The deadline for the receipt of nominations at IFLA Headquarters is Friday, 15 March 2013. No late submissions will be accepted.
CLM was created to advise IFLA and represents the voice of the international library community in copyright and intellectual property concerns. Further CLM is active in issues relating to
- disputed claims of ownership of library materials
- economic and trade barriers to the acquisition and use of library resources and effective library services
- subscription and license agreements
- a wide range of other legal matters of international significance to libraries and librarianship.
I enclose a list of the current members of the committee. Nominations will be considered for the term of office 2013-2017.
Only one nomination will be accepted from each Association or Institutional member. In selecting the members of the Committee, the Governing Board has adopted a policy of appointing only one member from any one country. The Board also takes into account the need to ensure wide geographical representation on the Committee.
Nominees should have:
- significant interest and expertise in the issues within the Committee’s terms of reference;
- demonstrated knowledge about and activity focused on copyright and libraries within their country;
- the ability to report authoritatively on the state of affairs in their own countries and regions in respect of copyright and other legal matters listed above;
- a reasonable expectation of being able to attend (without cost to IFLA) the business and professional meetings of the Committee. The business meetings are usually held before and during the IFLA World Library and Information Congress beginning in Singapore in August 2013 and up to and including 2017;
- a working knowledge of at least one of the working languages of IFLA (Arabic, Chinese, English, French, German, Russian and Spanish). Since the business meetings of IFLA are generally conducted in English, reasonable fluency in this language is necessary to be able to fully participate as a member of the IFLA/CLM committee; and
- the ability and willingness to contribute regularly to the work of the committee in between congresses.
The Chair of the Committee, Victoria Owen, will advise the Governing Board on the selection of names from amongst those nominated.
The maximum size of the IFLA/CLM committee is 27 members. The Governing Board may choose to appoint fewer members than 27.
The Governing Board will appoint the members of the Committee at its meeting during the week beginning 8 April 2013. Successful nominees will be informed as soon as possible after the meeting so that they can make arrangements to attend the IFLA World Library and Information Congress in Singapore, 17-23 August 2013.
Please use only the enclosed nomination form. It must be signed by the authorised signatory, that is the individual who is listed in IFLA’s records as the organization’s highest official and whose name appears on the attached nomination form.
I am looking forward to receiving your response.