View Online — IFLA ENSULIB Webinar Series: The Power of Data to Advance the SDGs
04 March 2022
The Power of Data to Advance the SDGs — The role of publishers to support the SDGs and examples from Elsevier
The recording is available now!
The material for the webinar could be downloaded here.
The United Nations Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) are a powerful tool to track progress towards a sustainable society that meets the needs of the present without compromising the ability of future generations to meet their own needs. The research community, including librarians as information professionals and publishers, have a key role in delivering high quality information to researchers, organizations and policy makers in order to act on the world that we all live in. In the presentation, the speaker will:
- give an overview of some of broader industry initiatives around the SDGs, but in particular introduce analytics and collaborations around the SDG research landscape;
- address questions such as north-south collaboration and gender aspects;
- introduce key finding from a recent report Pathways to Net Zero: The Impact of Clean Energy Research
All these hope to serve to illustrate the title of the talk – The Power of Data to Advance the SDGs.
Anders Karlsson joined Elsevier in 2012 as Vice President, Global Strategic Networks. In this role he is actively engaged in Elsevier’s efforts around sustainability. He is furthermore the Japan Chapter Chair of the Science, Technology and Medical Publisher Association (STM), and a member of the Asia Chapter Steering Committee of the International Network for Governmental Science Advice- INGSA. Before Elsevier he was for five years Science Counselor at Embassy of Sweden, Tokyo. He was for 10 years Professor in Quantum Photonics at the Royal Institute of Technology – KTH, Stockholm, Sweden and has been Visiting Scientist at among others NTT Basic Research Labs and Stanford University. He has a Ph.D. in Electrical Engineering and a M.Sc. in Engineering Physics, both from KTH.
Links to more resources:
- SDG Publishers Compact – the United Nations: This Compact is designed to inspire action among publishers. Launched in collaboration with the International Publishers Association.
- Partnerships to achieve the Sustainable Development Goals
- RELX SDG Resource Centre: In June 2017, RELX Group, Elsevier’s parent company launched the SDG Resource Centre: a free, interactive education platform curating content related to sustainability research. The Resource Centre houses articles, videos, interviews, webinars and discussion groups on science, law, business and events. Content is grouped according to the SDGs it addresses. RELX group is a member of UN Global Compact.
- Sustainability Science Hub: Using data to drive action on the UN SDGs: Free access to analytical reports, data sets, tools and other resources for sustainable development.
- Sustainability Through a Gender Lens: The Extent to Which Research on UN Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) Includes Sex and Gender Consideration
- Climate Action – Elsevier: We support the global efforts to mitigate climate change through the rapid reduction of our own direct and indirect greenhouse gas emissions.
- Report: How can research help the world hit net zero by 2050? Explore emerging trends and opportunities to maximize the impact of clean-energy research in “Pathways to Net Zero” report
- Harri Sahavirta email@example.com
- Petra Hauke firstname.lastname@example.org
- Priscilla Pun email@example.com
- Beth Filar Williams firstname.lastname@example.org
- Antonia Mocatta email@example.com
- Vivienne Byrd firstname.lastname@example.org