20 June 2016
The Library History Round Table (LHRT)'s programs at the American Library Association meeting in Orlando, Florida on June 26, 2016
The American Library Association (ALA) Annual conference looms: http://2016.alaannual.org/ and sharing the Library History Round Table's (LHRT) programs at the American Library Association meeting in Orlando on June 26, 2016 at the Hyatt:
LHRT Edward G. Holley Memorial Lecture: “History, Childhood, Memory, and Imagination"
- 10:30AM - 11:30AM, Hyatt - Barrel Springs I
John Cech, Director of the Center for the Study of Children's Literature & Culture at the University of Florida, will share insights from a lifetime researching children's literature in his talk entitled "History, Childhood, Memory, and Imagination". Professor Cech was the Producer and Host of the Public Radio program, “Recess!,” (1998–2007). He is the author of Imagination and Innovation: The Story of Weston Woods; Angels and Wild Things; The Archetypal Poetics of Maurice Sendak, and the editor of American Writers for Children, 1900–1960.
LHRT Research Forum: "History of Reading and Readers in Libraries"
1:00PM - 2:30PM, Hyatt - Bayhill 27
- Caleb Bingham's Vision for America: A Case Study of the Youth's Library 1806 Catalogue Amy Breimaier
- Exiled and isolated: Libraries in the early penal settlements of Van Dieman’s Land Mary Carroll
- "Dirty" Materials Out of Place: Inappropriate Books and Social Classification Dr. Emily Knox Dr. Emily Knox
- "Never Read Any But Famed Books": 19th Century Libraries and the Middlebrow Reader Brian Shetler