1 November 2016
*REMINDER* Call for nominations to the IFLA Committee on Standards: deadline 01 March 2017
The IFLA Governing Board seeks nominations for new members of the IFLA Committee on Standards by Wednesday 01 March 2017. The term served by new members will be from August 2017 to August 2019. Please share this message with others who might be interested to ensure as wide a call as possible.
The IFLA Committee on Standards oversees the production, management and promotion of IFLA’s own standards (including guidelines), and provides a central coordinating body to which any IFLA standards-related issues can be directed.
Read more about the responsibilities of the Committee in the full terms of reference.
Who is eligible to be nominated?
The IFLA Governing Board will be appointing up to seven new members who will be selected mainly on the basis of their expertise. They will also seek to have geographical representation and a mix of skills among the Committee members. The Governing Board will base its selection of members on evidence presented as to the nominees:
- previous experience connected with one or more IFLA standards (drafting, managing, or contributing to an IFLA standard), or knowledge about and experience with the development of library standards in general which might be applicable in the IFLA context;
- interest in improving an aspect of IFLA’s own standards management: whether that is in the coordination of production and revision processes, promotion of IFLA standards, relationships with non-IFLA standards bodies, or other areas as described in the responsibilities of the Committee.
the ability and willingness to contribute regularly, actively and within agreed timeframes to the work of the Committee on Standards both during meetings and virtually, during the year, between meetings. This can include:
- reviewing and providing detailed feedback on IFLA Standards as part of the development and validation process
- The development of strong and relevant conference programs
- Specific projects identified in the Committee’s Action Plan
Nominees must also have:
a reasonable expectation of being able to attend (without cost to IFLA) the business and professional meetings of the Committee. The meetings are usually held during the IFLA World Library and Information Congress which for the terms of the nominee will be in:
- Wrocław, Poland, August 2017;
- Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia, August 2018;
- August 2019, location to be announced;
- an existing affiliation to IFLA through membership of an IFLA Professional Unit Standing Committee, or IFLA Membership affiliation through being an employee of an Association or Institutional Member, or a member of an Association Member, or a Personal Affiliate;
- a working knowledge of at least one of the working languages of IFLA (Arabic, Chinese, English, French, German, Russian and Spanish). Since the business meetings of IFLA are generally conducted in English, reasonable fluency in this language is necessary to be able to fully participate as a member of the IFLA Committee on Standards.
Members are appointed initially for two years. From these nominations a Chair will be selected.
How to nominate someone
Candidates may nominate themselves. If you are nominating another person, please ensure you have their consent and signature on the nomination form.
Selection of new members
The details of nominees may be shared with the IFLA Professional Committee, the IFLA Committee on Standards, and the IFLA Governing Board members.
Persons selected for the Committee will be informed in April 2017. This timing will enable them to take advantage of the early registration discount for the IFLA World Library and Information Congress where the first meeting of the new Committee members will take place.
If you have further questions about the Committee and its responsibilities, please contact Jan Richards, current Chair of the Committee on Standards, via the IFLA Professional Support Officer, Joanne Yeomans.
I look forward to receiving your nominations by March 1st.