Professional Unit Reviews
All of IFLA’s Professional Units will undergo regular review by the Professional Committee. These reviews determine how successfully the Unit continues to achieve their objectives, and offers a chance for the Professional Committee to give constructive feedback on areas of activity which can be improved. Officers will be informed when their Unit is coming up for review.
More information on Section Reviews coming soon.
The following SIGs are due for review in 2020 & 2021:
- Religious Libraries and Dialogue (Relindial) - 2020
- ATINA - 2020
- Evidence for Global & Disaster Health - 2021
- Digital Humanities/Digital Scholarship - 2021
26 June 2020:
Sponsoring Section to submit report to Division Chair (see below for details).
HQ to complete data collection and submit to Division Chair (see below for details).
10 July 2020:
Division Chair to submit report to Professional Committee (see below for details).
21 August 2020
Professional Committee to make decision.
Reminder of purpose of SIG
Groups of IFLA Members, or representatives of IFLA Members, may establish Special Interest Groups (SIGs) to address emerging issues, or trends or issues of continuing interest to a relatively small number of IFLA members. Special Interest Groups bring together IFLA members with common and continuing interests that they wish to discuss or explore, but which are not included in the Mission and Goals of an existing Section. Interests may cut across the concerns of multiple Sections, identify and follow an emerging issue or trend, be very specialized, and be relevant to a small number of members.
Once an issue has been explored by the SIG during 4 or 8 years, the Professional Committee wishes to see one of the following occur:
1.1 the topic and its network are incorporated (explicitly or implicitly as relevant) into the mission and activities of an existing IFLA Section (this may be the sponsoring Section or another Section);
1.2 the topic has been fully examined and no further activity is proposed.
Continuation for defined period:
the SIG and its sponsoring Section identify an issue that still needs further exploration or an activity that needs carrying out (for example production of a publication) and that cannot easily be managed by the sponsoring Section; for this reason, it is proposed the SIG continues for a specified period of time.
Conversion to Section:
the topic is so important and wide-ranging that it is proposed a new Section is created for carrying out a range of future activities.
Criteria for review
The Professional Committee will make its decision on a range of data and opinions:
- Sponsoring Section report and recommendation
- Division Chair report and recommendation
- IFLA HQ data collection
1.What the Sponsoring Section is asked to report on
Please provide a report addressing the following questions by 26 June 2020.
- What is still remaining for the SIG to achieve? If nothing, go to Question 4.
- What is the timescale for achieving this aim/these aims?
- Is the SIG Convener well integrated in the Standing Committee and are the plans for the SIG discussed and approved by the SC?
- What work (if any) will be handed back to the sponsoring Section or another Section for ongoing management/periodical review?
- What is the main achievement of the SIG to date?
- What is the recommendation of the sponsoring Section? Closure, continuation for defined period, or conversion to Section?
2.What the Division Chair will report on.
The Division Chair will be asked to submit a report by 10 July 2020 commenting on:
- Sponsoring Section report (see above).
- Achievements as reported in the SIG’s Annual Report(s).
- Activities and individual involvement indicated in the SIG’s Action Plan(s).
- Support and involvement of IFLA Members as indicated from social media.
- Communication of activities to community and originality of communication.
- Overall recommendation: closure, continuation for defined period, or conversion to Section.
3.What HQ will report on
HQ Staff will analyze the statistical data available to make a report by 26 June 2020 on the following:
- WLIC activity 2018-2020: list of meetings/sessions and numbers of attendees when known.
- Satellite meeting details 2018-2020.
- Number of IFLA Members registered for sponsoring Section.
- Action Plan submitted 2019-2020 and posted online Y/N.
- Annual Report submitted 2019-2020 and posted online Y/N.
- Last meeting minutes or meeting report available online.
- Variety of social media channels (blog, Facebook, twitter, mailing list, other).
- (If relevant) Date of last blog post, frequency, and originality of content.
- (If relevant) Number of Facebook followers/members, frequency of posts, and originality of content.
- (If relevant) Number of tweets and number of followers, frequency of posts, and originality of content.
- (If relevant) Number of mailing list subscribers, frequency of posts, and originality of content.
- Date of last news item on web pages, frequency of posts, and originality of content.
- Project/activity descriptions and reports online.
Professional Committee decision
Using the reports from HQ, the sponsoring Section and the Division Chair and the recommendations from the two latter, the Professional Committee will make a decision at its meeting on 21 August 2020 for either closure, continuation for defined period, or conversion to Section:
- Close the SIG during 2020 - 2021.
- Continue the SIG to 2023 for periodic review.
- Allow a defined time period before closure due to uncompleted commitments or projects.
- Allow a defined time period for application to become a Section.
Last update: 4 March 2020