School Libraries - Global Action Book: Call for Chapters
We invite you to consider contributing a chapter to a forthcoming book entitled Global Action on School Library Guidelines. The book will be co-edited by Dr. Barbara Schultz-Jones, from the University of North Texas in the USA, and Dr. Dianne Oberg, from the University of Alberta in Canada, and published in June 2015 by IFLA and DeGruyter Saur. The Joint Committee of IASL and IFLA School Libraries will serve as the advisory committee for the project.
The focus of the book will be the ways in which members of our school library community worldwide have developed, revised, promoted, and implemented school library guidelines in their country or their province/state/county or their local school district/administrative unit. There will be a chapter about the international IFLA/UNESCO School Library Guidelines as well.
Each of the chapters will describe, in 3000-4000 words, a specific case of action related to school library guidelines. The description or “case study” will include: a description of the action and its aims or objectives; the context of the action; strategies and resources used to carry out the action; outcomes; assessment and evaluation; and contact/s for further information. These case studies are intended to serve as a guide or an inspiration for others facing similar challenges.
Examples of topics about which you may wish to write include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Developing national school library standards and/or guidelines
- Efforts to implement new school library standards and/or guidelines
- Transitioning a school library to a learning commons
- Changing school and/or school library culture or expectations to align with guidelines
Here is the planned timetable for the project:
- 15 September 2014 Submission of proposals for chapters
- 01 October 2014 Notification of acceptance of proposals
- 15 November 2014 Submission of full chapters
- 08 December 2014 Feedback to authors and requests for revisions, if any
- 15 January 2015 Submission of the revised final copy of chapters (in “camera ready” format)
- 31 January 2015 Submission of final copy of the entire book to the publisher
Please share the Call for Chapters with others who might be interested in submitting a proposal. Full details of the Proposal format are available here as a PDF download
Last update: 5 December 2017