15 January 2019
Call for Papers! August 2019 WLIC in Greece!
IFLA’s Science & Technology Libraries Section jointly with the Reference & Information Services Section and the Audio Visual & Multimedia Section issue a CALL FOR PAPERS
Theme: “Moving Beyond Traditional Collections & Services: Supporting Science in Innovative Ways”
Background: The Science & Technology Section invites proposals for papers to be presented at the IFLA World Library and Information Congress in Athens, Greece from August 24-30, 2019. This two-hour open session is co-sponsored by the IFLA Reference & Information Services and the Audio Visual & Multimedia Sections.
As Science Libraries become more incorporated in centralized library service plans and organizational structures there are concerns about how the specialized information needs of scientists and science students are met. As science educates the public, influences new policies and ways of thinking, science librarianship at all levels is dedicated to providing accurate and informed content to a diverse citizenry.
Reference and outreach services are critical to that mission. Science librarianship requires a model for delivering relevant and critical services at time of need that are evidence-based and sufficiently documented. What that model constitutes in the future continues to change as science reference explores different models that are embedded, data driven, and emphasize information sources such as games, multimedia formats, makerspaces, eSports, patents, mapping (genomic and other spatially-based forms), and other ways of conducting STEM or STEAM activities and learning.
This session will promote innovations that support science knowledge acquisition and generation with creative service models and invites presentations that can share new visions from different types of libraries including public libraries, school libraries, all levels of academic and research libraries, where services for reference, outreach, instruction and collections are central activities advancing scientific understanding.
- At least one of the paper’s authors must be present to deliver a summary of the paper during the program in Athens. Abstracts to be submitted only with the understanding that the expenses of attending the conference will be the responsibility of the author(s)/presenter(s) of accepted papers.
- Full abstracts in any of the IFLA’s official languages (Arabic, Chinese, English, French, German, Russian, Spanish) of up to 500 words should be submitted for review
- Abstracts and presentation will be original, previously unpublished or not presented work
- All papers presented at the WLIC 2019 will be made available online via the IFLA Library under the Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 license.
- Authors of accepted papers must complete the IFLA Authors’ Permission Form.
- All expenses, including registration for the conference, travel, accommodations, etc., are the responsibility of the authors/presenters. No financial support is provided by IFLA, but a special invitation letter can be issued to author(s)/presenter(s) of accepted papers.
Important Dates & Deadlines
28 February 2019 - Deadline submission of 500 word maximum abstract/proposal containing: contact information for first author, all authors & institutional affiliations, language in which presentation will be delivered, confirmation of understanding that presenter is responsible for conference registration and all expenses associated with attendance and that they can meet all future deadlines.
Please send all submissions via attachment in MS Word to:
Julia Gelfand (firstname.lastname@example.org) – receipt of all submissions will be confirmed
1 April 2019 – Notification to authors about status of submission
1 June 2019 – Submission of full text of paper
28 July 2019 – Submission of accompanying powerpoint slides for presentation