1 February 2019
Policy and Research Officer
The International Federation of Library Associations and Institutions (IFLA) Headquarters is looking for a Policy and Research Officer to work on digital issues, as part of a dynamic international team. As the global organisation for libraries, IFLA has a role both in promoting the contribution of libraries to development through access to information globally, and in supporting its own members to fulfil their potential.
Technology plays an increasingly central role in the way that we create, share, access and use information today. In many cases, it has enabled libraries to offer new services and opportunities to their users, and move closer to the goal of equitable and meaningful access to information for all. However, it has also brought with it challenges, both for those on the wrong side of the digital divide, and for people who are connected and faced with uncertainty and concerns. There is a pressing need to ensure that everyone – including librarians – has the possibility, knowledge and skills necessary to make the most of the possibilities on offer. The successful candidate will work to make this happen.
IFLA Headquarters is located in The Hague (next to The Hague Central Station) in The Netherlands.
Key areas of Responsibility
Under the direction of the Manager Policy and Advocacy, the successful candidate will be the lead policy and research officer on questions around technology and digital issues and their impacts on the library field. Your work will contribute to the effectiveness of IFLA’s advocacy and lobbying work internationally, as well as help the global library field to understand technology trends and their implications.
To do this, you will engage in international discussions, prepare research and responses to consultations, support overall evidence gathering around the contribution of internet access through libraries to development, and provide materials and guidance to members.
Qualifications and Experience
- Excellent knowledge of technology issues;
- A strong understanding of library and information services and related policy issues;
- Strong research skills;
- Outstanding communication skills in English, both written and oral, and fully competent in using the web and social media;
- Have a sense of diplomacy and the ability to convey this in writing;
- Demonstrable interpersonal skills, able to relate to people from a wide range of cultures and backgrounds;
- Demonstrable understanding of the policy process, including policy development;
- Demonstrable project management skills;
- A commitment to participative management practices, workplace diversity and to working effectively within a team environment;
- Experience in working in a distributed, international team.
Additionally, the candidate will have:
- Experience in working within an international NGO organisation;
- A Bachelor’s degree in a relevant field;
- Proficiency in one of the other official languages of IFLA (Arabic, Chinese, French, German, Russian, Spanish).
The gross monthly salary offered will be EUR 3,660 per month in line with the Collective Agreement of Public Libraries in The Netherlands. You will also receive a holiday allowance (8% of your annual salary), an end of year bonus and enjoy 25 days of holidays per year. You will also participate in IFLA’s group pension scheme.
The closing date is 22 February 2019. Due to the high volume of applications we are expecting to receive, interested candidates are advised to submit their applications as soon as possible.
How to apply
Please send your CV and motivation letter addressing the responsibilities and skills required for the position in English to email@example.com. Only candidates with valid documentation to work in The Netherlands will be considered.