Professional Council Chair
To serve August 2023-August 2025
Voting begins 13 March 2023. Eligible voters have until 12:00 CEST on 12 April to cast their votes.
IFLA’s Professional Council ensures coordination of the work of the IFLA Professional Units. The Professional Council inspires, leads and co-ordinates the work of Professional Units. The Professional Council Chair is a full member of the Governing Board, so this is a busy position with obligations for involvement in meetings of both the Governing Board and the Professional Council.
The main role of the Professional Council Chair is to chair the Professional Council and represent the Professional Council on the Governing Board. It is a position that is heavily involved in decisions regarding the professional programme of IFLA’s annual Congress.
Positions available: one (1)
Term of office: two (2) years. Re-election possible provided that the new term does not commence until at least one term after the conclusion of the previous term.
Nominations required: five (5)
Who can nominate: Officers of Professional Section Standing Committees and Convenors of Special Interest Groups
Eligible nominees: Outgoing Chairs and Secretaries of all the Professional Division Committees
Expectations of Candidates
Skills and attributes: A candidate for this position should be able to demonstrate:
- Leadership experience and a desire to advocate for and support the work of IFLA’s Professional Units in alignment with the organisation’s strategic plan.
- Strong facilitation skills, and the ability to plan, lead and engage the Professional Council in deep and meaningful work on behalf of volunteers and the organisation.
- Ability to inspire and engage, volunteers, and represent the interests of a diverse range of colleagues and sectors at the organisation’s strategic level.
- Experience in communication, representation and networking, an ability to leverage networks, and an interest in library politics and advocacy.
- Expertise and experience across the library field.
- Experience with financial management, fundraising and risk-management.
- Experience with strategic planning, programme implementation and review processes.
- Willingness and ability to devote time and energy to the role – this can be 5-10 hours per week.
- Time allowance to prepare for and attend meetings of the Governing Board and Professional Council, and the financial resources to attend the IFLA annual Congress.
- An ability to act with respect, trust, confidentiality and transparency within the Governing Board and recognise the need to protect personal and privileged information. They must declare any conflicts of interest and abstain from discussions where they have a conflict or potential conflict of interest.
Candidate statement: A statement of up to 500 words is requested with the nominee consent form.
Elections in writing will take place.
Who can vote: Officers of Professional Section Standing Committees and Convenors of Special Interest Groups
How do I find a nominator?
Lists of Officers of Professional Section Standing Committees and the names of Special Interest Group Convenors can be found on their webpages. See the Professional Units on our Committee Finder for more information.
How do I submit my nominee form?
Potential nominees will have received an email from UK Engage with a link to nominee forms. If you missed the email, please contact email@example.com. The IFLA Elections Team will provide you with the link
A nomination only becomes valid when there is a match between the number of required nominations and a completed nominee form.
Learn more about the remit of the Professional Council in Rule 19.1.1 of the IFLA Rules of Procedure.