Content tagged UNESCO World Book Capital
Ordered by publication date from most to less recent.
(These results include any available translations of the original English documents.)
- Tbilisi to be World Book Capital 2021
UNESCO has announced that Tbilisi, capital of Georgia, will be World Book Capital 2021. IFLA is looking forward to working with the authorities and libraries there to show the power of our...
News - 29 November 2019
- Sharjah, United Arab Emirates, Becomes World Book Capital
The title of World Book Capital has passed from Athens, Greece, to Sharjah, United Arab Emirates. IFLA President Glòria Pérez-Salmerón and Secretary-General Gerald...
News - 23 April 2019
- Books for Better Societies: Call for World Book Capital 2021 Candidates Open
UNESCO has opened the call for candidates for the city which will be World Book Capital (WBC) for a year from 23 April 2021. IFLA encourages cities which are realising the potential...
News - 4 January 2019
- Sharjah World Book Capital 2019 inauguration ceremony
From 23 April 2019, until 22 April 2020, the city of Sharjah will be World Book Capital for an entire year. Sharjah was named World Book Capital for the year 2019 by UNESCO...
Event - 10 December 2018
- Celebrating Books, Celebrating Access: Kuala Lumpur Announced as World Book Capital 2020
UNESCO has announced that Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia, will be World Book Capital 2020. Taking up the status on 23 April 2020, it will, for a year, be the focus of efforts and activities to promote...
News - 20 September 2018
- Celebrating books, and the libraries that champion them: Athens becomes World Book Capital
Athens today becomes UNESCO World Book Capital. IFLA Secretary General Gerald Leitner participated in the launch ceremony on behalf of the global library community and looked forward both...
News - 23 April 2018
- Athens World Book Capital 2018 launch
Starting in April 2018, until April 2019, the city of Athens will be World Book Capital for an entire year; the place where the universal heart of the written word will be beating!...
Event - 12 April 2018
- Applications Open for World Book Capital 2020: IFLA Encourages Bids that Highlight Libraries
The World Book Capital initiative gives cities the opportunity both to celebrate local writing and culture, but also to promote reading and a love of books among residents and visitors. Bids are...
News - 19 September 2017
- UNESCO World Book Capital City Wrocław 2016
In 2014 Wrocław was named UNESCO World Book Capital 2016. This event represents the official opening of UNESCO World Book Capital Wrocław 2016 and will include the participation of writers...
Event - 23 February 2016