29 Octobre 2018
Call for nominations: IFLA Committee on Standards 2019-2021
The IFLA Governing Board seeks nominations for new members of the IFLA Committee on Standards by 15 February 2019. The term served by new members will be from August 2019 to August 2021. Please share this message with others who might be interested to ensure as wide a call as possible.
The IFLA Committee on Standards oversees the production, management and promotion of IFLA’s own standards (including guidelines), and provides a central coordinating body to which any IFLA standards-related issues can be directed.
Read more about the responsibilities of the Committee in the full terms of reference.
Who is eligible to be nominated?
The IFLA Governing Board will be appointing up to seven new members who will be selected mainly on the basis of their expertise. They will also seek to have geographical representation and a mix of skills among the Committee members. The Governing Board will base its selection of members on evidence presented as to the nominees:
- previous experience connected with one or more IFLA standards (drafting, managing, or contributing to an IFLA standard), or knowledge about and experience with the development of library standards in general which might be applicable in the IFLA context;
- interest in improving an aspect of IFLA’s own standards management: whether that is in the coordination of production and revision processes, promotion of IFLA standards, relationships with non-IFLA standards bodies, or other areas as described in the responsibilities of the Committee.
- the ability and willingness to contribute regularly and actively to the work of the Committee on Standards both during meetings and virtually, during the year, between meetings.
Nominees must also have:
a reasonable expectation of being able to attend (without cost to IFLA) the business and professional meetings of the Committee. The meetings are usually held during the IFLA World Library and Information Congress which for the terms of the nominee will be in:
- Athens, Greece, August 2019;
- Auckland, New Zealand, July 2020;
- August 2021, location still to be announced;
- an existing affiliation to IFLA through membership of an IFLA Professional Unit Standing Committee, or IFLA Membership affiliation through being an employee of an Association or Institutional Member, or a member of an Association Member, or a Personal Affiliate;
- a working knowledge of at least one of the working languages of IFLA (Arabic, Chinese, English, French, German, Russian and Spanish). Since the business meetings of IFLA are generally conducted in English, reasonable fluency in this language is necessary to be able to fully participate as a member of the IFLA Committee on Standards.
Members are appointed initially for two years. From these nominations a Chair will be selected.
How to nominate someone
Nominations for this Committee should be submitted by the deadline (15 February 2019) using the online nominee consent form. Candidates may nominate themselves.
Selection of new members
The details of nominees may be shared with the IFLA Professional Committee, the IFLA Committee on Standards, and the IFLA Governing Board members.
Persons selected for the Committee will be informed in April 2019. This timing will enable them to take advantage of the early registration discount for the IFLA World Library and Information Congress where the first meeting of the new Committee members will take place.
I look forward to receiving your nominations by February 15th.