Call for Applications to the IFLA Journal Editorial Committee
02 November 2022
The Professional Council is calling for five members at large to join the IFLA Journal Editorial Committee for a term of four years (renewable once) from 2023-2027. The Professional Council would like the representation of the Editorial Committee to reflect IFLA as a global organisation. Therefore, members are sought from all areas of the world but particularly welcome applications from members in regions not currently represented on the Committee including those from: Western and Eastern Europe, North America, Sub-Saharan Africa, South Asia and South East Asia.
All members appointed will have a role in representing the IFLA Journal to readers and authors and in assisting to identify topics and issues of interest to a global readership.
IFLA Journal is an international, scholarly, peer-reviewed journal, publishing research-based articles that impact and enrich professional practice. The articles focus on key topics such as the role of information in society, developing inclusive services, supporting economic development, increasing access to knowledge and engagement in policies that impact libraries and citizens worldwide. Its Editor, Steve Witt, has introduced regular special issues that explore a topic in-depth, engaging with researchers and professionals from a wide range of fields and disciplines. IFLA Journal is published quarterly by SAGE Publishing and is indexed by Scopus. Articles are normally published in English, with abstracts translated into IFLA’s other official languages (Arabic, Chinese, French, German, Russian and Spanish).
The IFLA Journal Editorial Committee is appointed by and reports to the Professional Council. It manages the editorial direction of the IFLA Journal and ensures its quality, actively participating in the review process.
Roles and responsibilities of the Editorial Committee
- Provide advice to the Professional Council on all matters relating to the editorial direction of the IFLA Journal;
- Act as panel of peer reviewers for submitted papers and also assist in creating a list of other experts who will undertake review;
- Monitor the quality of submissions and propose measures for improvement;
- Provide detailed constructive editorial review to authors of submitted papers;
- Identify themes for the Journal in key areas of IFLA’s strategy and work;
- Provide advice to the Professional Council, as needed.
For more information about the role and duties of the Editorial Committee, see the Terms of Reference.
Members of the Editorial Committee are appointed on the basis of the following expertise:
- Practical experience of the peer review process, with the capacity to review critically the research method, impact and novelty of the papers being presented for review;
- Familiarity with research methodologies in the field of library and information science;
- Experience with editing and/or publishing in a peer-reviewed publication;
- High level of competence of working and writing in the English language. Knowledge of one of the other languages of IFLA (Arabic, Chinese, French, German, Russian and Spanish) is an advantage.
To apply for a position as a reviewer and member of the Editorial Committee, please complete the application form. Your application should be accompanied by a CV.
- Wednesday 2 November: Applications open
- Friday 2 December: Call for applications closes
- Friday 17 February: Applicants will be informed of the outcome after this date. The appointed members will take up their position in August at the IFLA WLIC.
Submit applications, CVs and all enquiries to Anne Goulding, Chair, IFLA Journal Editorial Committee at email@example.com