4 January 2013
Call for nominations: IFLA Committee on Freedom of Access to Information and Freedom of Expression (FAIFE)
Term of office: August 2013 – August 2017
On behalf of the Governing Board of IFLA, I am writing to invite you to nominate an individual to a place on the IFLA/FAIFE Committee.
The deadline for the receipt of nominations at IFLA Headquarters is Friday, 15 March 2013. No late submissions will be accepted.
The overall objective of IFLA/FAIFE is to raise awareness of the essential correlation between the library concept and the values of intellectual freedom. To reach this goal IFLA/FAIFE collects and disseminates documentation and aims to stimulate a dialog both within and outside the library world.
FAIFE works to protect intellectual freedom and freedom of expression. This work includes:
- Publish reports, participate in national and international conferences and organize workshops.
- Monitor the state of intellectual freedom within the library community world-wide and publish newsletters and online news.
- Respond to violations of free access to information and freedom of expression and make press releases.
- Support IFLA policy development and co-operation with other international human rights organizations.
I enclose a list of the current members of the committee. Nominations will be considered for the term of office 2013-2017.
Only one nomination will be accepted from each Association and Institutional member. In selecting the members of the Committee, the Governing Board has adopted a policy of appointing only one member from any one country. The Board also takes into account the need to ensure wide geographical representation on the Committee.
Nominees should have:
- significant interest and expertise in the issues within the Committee’s terms of reference
- the ability to report authoritatively on the state of the affairs in their own country and its region, and actively promote freedom of access to information and freedom of expression issues.
- a reasonable expectation of being able to attend (without cost to IFLA) the business and professional meetings of the Committee. The business meetings are usually held before and during the IFLA World Library and Information Congress beginning in Singapore in August 2013 and up to and including 2017;
- a working knowledge of at least one of the working languages of IFLA (Arabic, Chinese, English, French, German, Russian and Spanish). Since the business meetings of IFLA are generally conducted in English, reasonable fluency in this language is necessary to be able to fully participate as a member of the IFLA/FAIFE committee; and
- the ability and willingness to contribute regularly to the work of the committee in between congresses.
The Chair of the Committee, Kai Ekholm, will advise Governing Board on the selection of names from amongst those nominated.
The maximum size of the IFLA/FAIFE committee is 15 members. The Governing Board may choose to appoint fewer members than 15.
The Governing Board will appoint the members of the Committee at its meeting during the week beginning 8 April 2013. Successful nominees will be informed as soon as possible after the meeting so that arrangements can be made to attend the IFLA World Library and Information Congress in Singapore, 17-23 August 2013.
Please use only the enclosed nomination form. It must be signed by the authorised signatory, that is the individual who is listed in IFLA’s records as the organization’s highest official and whose name appears on the attached nomination form.
I am looking forward to receiving your response.