Chair (2015 - 2017): Jan Richards, Central West Libraries, Australia (second term).
Governing Board liaison (2015 - 2017): Ágnes Hajdu Barát, Association of Hungarian Librarians.
Members (2015 - 2017):
- Abraham Azubuike, Dag Hammarskjöld Library, United Nations, New York (second term).
- Diane Beattie, Library and Archives Canada (first term).
- Christie Koontz, Florida State University, USA (first term).
- Paola Manoni, Vatican Library, Italy (first term).
- Dianne Oberg, University of Alberta, Canada (first term).
- Miriam Säfström, National Library of Sweden (first term).
- CDNL representative: Ulrike Junger, German National Library (first term).
Ex officio, non-voting:
- FRBR Chair: Chris Oliver (term ends 2017).
- ISBD Chair: Massimo Gentili-Tedeschi (term ends 2019).
- LIDATEC Chair: Lars Svensson (term ends 2017).
- Permanent UNIMARC Committee Chair: Maria Inês Cordeiro (Interim Chair).
HQ support: IFLA Professional Support Officer Joanne Yeomans
Composition of the Committee
From August 2015 the Committee comprises:
- up to seven members selected by the Professional Committee through a call for nominations;
- the Chair, appointed by the Governing Board, from among the seven members selected as above;
- a Governing Board/Professional Committee liaison identified from the incoming Professional Committee members;
- a representative nominated by the Conference of Directors of National Libraries (CDNL).
In addition to the members described above, the Chair or a representative nominated by the Chair, of the following groups are invited to the meetings of the Committee in an ex officio capacity (that is, not voting):
- Permanent UNIMARC Committee.
Members selected for the Committee should ideally either be a member of a professional unit standing committee, or be affiliated to IFLA through membership (either an employee of an institutional member, or a member of an association member, or a personal affiliate).
Members are required to have experience with IFLA standards or standards in general and are expected to actively contribute to the practical work required to carry out the Committee’s responsibilities. Ideally the Governing Board will seek to have geographical representation and a mix of skills among the Committee members.
Casual vacancies on the Committee will be filled according to the Rules of Procedure for Standing Committee vacancies.
Terms of office
Committee members will normally be appointed for two years, to coincide with the term of the Governing Board. In making its appointments the Board will aim for some continuity in knowledge and experience in the membership from term to term.
Members may not serve more than two consecutive terms unless the second term is as Chair, in which case they may serve a third consecutive term as a member if re-appointed as Chair. A Chair may only serve two consecutive terms as Chair.
Members will be appointed by the incoming Governing Board and therefore take up office during the IFLA World Library and Information Congress.
A call for nominations will take place in October of even-numbered years, that is, in the year preceding elections. New members will be recommended by the Professional Committee to the Governing Board at the April meetings, prior to the IFLA World Library and Information Congress later that year when they will be appointed and take up office.
The Committee shall meet on an as needs basis but at least once a year to carry out its responsibilities and provide timely advice to Governing Board, and to enable the effective management the IFLA standards programme. The Committee shall aim to meet face to face at the IFLA World Library and Information Congress and will meet electronically as required. The Chair reports regularly to the Governing Board on the work and discussions of the Committee.
Last update: 7 July 2017