Statement of Candidacy: Loida Garcia-Febo (United States)
For the position of Governing Board Member 2015-2017
Access to information saves lives. By working together in partnership with policymakers, funders and allies, libraries advance important issues including civic development, open access, and inclusion for all members of our diverse communities while fostering democracy and civically engaged societies. These have been my goals since I started serving IFLA in 2003.
I have worked towards meeting these goals by founding IFLA New Professionals SIG, the first global forum for LIS students and new librarians; as Secretary and Expert Resource Person at FAIFE training librarians globally on human rights; and with CPDWL coordinating new online opportunities for membership participation in English, Portuguese and Spanish.
I vow to dedicate my energy and passion to continue the work I started during my first term as a Governing Board member:
- Advocating for access to information at the United Nations Post-2015 development agenda meetings.
- Maximizing resources and securing new partnerships for online continuing education.
- Meeting the needs of multicultural and multilingual populations.
- Engaging the membership through technological innovation, and expanding opportunities for new librarians.
- Chairing the IFLA Trend Report Working Group promoting trends and their impact on library services.
- Collaborating in the assessment process of the successful IFLA International Leaders Program.
Strengthening relationships with partners to continue strategizing initiatives to further IFLA’s mission is key. I strongly support working with our allies including UNESCO, the Gates Foundation, the Blue Shield and the U.N.
My professional experience in academic, public and school libraries, leadership roles in associations, and contributions to global projects confirm my ability to continue strategizing to advocate and develop strong libraries for equal and innovative societies.
I am committed to making IFLA’s voice heard by collaborating with our partners, members and officers. I ask for your vote to continue this work during a second term as a member of the IFLA Governing Board.
President, Information New Wave
Brooklyn, New York
Last update: 20 March 2015