Call for Applications to the IFLA Journal Editorial Committee
27 September 2016
The IFLA Professional Committee is calling for up to two members to join the IFLA Journal Editorial Committee, for a term of four years (renewable once) from 2016-2020.
IFLA Journal is an international peer-reviewed journal, publishing research-based articles that impact and enrich professional practice. The articles focus on key topics such as the role of information in society, developing inclusive services, supporting economic development, increasing access to knowledge and engagement in policies that impact libraries and citizens worldwide. Its new Editor, Steve Witt, has introduced a regular special issue that explores a topic in-depth, engaging with researchers and professionals from a wide range of fields and disciplines. IFLA Journal is published quarterly. Articles are normally published in English, with abstracts translated into IFLA’s other official languages (Arabic, Chinese, French, German, Russian and Spanish).
The IFLA Journal Editorial Committee is appointed by and reports to the Professional Committee. It manages the editorial direction of the IFLA Journal and ensures its quality, actively participating in the review process.
Roles and responsibilities of the Editorial Committee
- Provide advice to the Professional Committee on all matters relating to the editorial direction of the IFLA Journal;
- Act as panel of peer reviewers for submitted papers and also assist in creating a list of other experts who will undertake review;
- Monitor the quality of submissions and propose measures for improvement;
- Provide detailed constructive editorial review to authors of submitted papers;
- Identify themes for the Journal in key areas of IFLA’s strategy and work;
- Provide advice to the Professional Committee, as needed.
For more information about the role and duties of the Editorial Committee, see the Terms of Reference.
Members of the Editorial Committee are appointed on the basis of the following expertise:
- Practical experience of the peer review process, with the capacity to review critically the research method, impact and novelty of the papers being presented for review;
- Familiarity with research methodologies in the field of library and information science;
- Experience with editing and/or publishing in a peer-reviewed publication;
- High level of competence of working in the English language. Knowledge of one of the other languages of IFLA (Arabic, Chinese, French, German, Russian and Spanish) is an advantage.
To apply for a position as a reviewer and member of the Editorial Committee, please complete the application form [MS Word].
The call is open to all Members of IFLA.
- 27 September 2016: Applications open
- 31 October 2016: Call for applications close
- 14 November 2016: Applicants will be informed of the outcome after this date. The appointed members will take up their position immediately upon notification.
Submit applications and all enquiries to Jerry W. Mansfield, Chair, IFLA Journal Editorial Committee at email@example.com.