Call for candidates for co-opted members of the Europe Regional Division Committee
23 October 2023
Candidacies are welcomed for up to 2 positions as co-opted members of IFLA’s new Europe Regional Division Committee.
Alongside other Members of the Committee, successful candidates are responsible for:
- working together to develop and deliver action plans responding to the needs of the library field in their region and review progress on delivering the IFLA Strategy;
- building capacity to advocate at all levels, and identify and work on advocacy priorities, cooperating with Sections and Advisory Committees, as well as other organisations, and also contribute actively to efforts to engage Members in the region;
- building awareness of IFLA’s work, and reach out to non-Members.
As with other members of the Committee, they are expected to be able to show:
- an interest and experience in library policies and advocacy;
- expertise, experience and interest in/across libraries in the region;
- ability to represent the interests of a diverse range of colleagues;
- experience in communication, representation and networking;
- willingness and ability to devote time and energy to the role – this is usually several hours per month;
- time allowance to prepare and attend meetings of the Regional Division Council;
- an ability to act with respect, trust, confidentiality and transparency and recognize the need to protect personal and privileged information. They must declare any conflicts of interest and abstain from discussions where they have a conflict or potential conflict of interest.
The purpose of co-option is to increase the range and diversity of experience and expertise in the Committee. Following consultation with the EU RDC Chair, as well as the Regional Council Chair, candidacies are therefore welcomed from:
- Representatives from the following countries (and language groups) which are not currently represented on the Committee: Albania; Andorra; Armenia; Austria; Azerbaijan; Belarus; Belgium; Bosnia and Herzegovina; Bulgaria; Channel islands; Croatia; Cyprus; Czechia; Estonia; Faroe Islands; Gibraltar; Holy See; Iceland; Ireland; Isle of Man; Israel; Latvia; Liechtenstein; Lithuania; Luxembourg; Malta; Moldova; Monaco; Montenegro; North Macedonia; Portugal; Romania; San Marino; Slovakia; Switzerland; Ukraine
- Representatives of library types which are currently under-represented (see the list of elected members and the library types currently represented)
- need to be based in one of the below countries that are currently not represented at the EU RDC:
Albania; Andorra; Armenia; Austria; Azerbaijan; Belarus; Belgium; Bosnia and Herzegovina; Bulgaria; Channel islands; Croatia; Cyprus; Czechia; Estonia; Faroe Islands; Gibraltar; Holy See; Iceland; Ireland; Isle of Man; Israel; Latvia; Liechtenstein; Lithuania; Luxembourg; Malta; Moldova; Monaco; Montenegro; North Macedonia; Portugal; Romania; San Marino; Slovakia; Switzerland; Ukraine.
- are expected to provide a statement of up to 200 words to justify their candidacy, explaining their experience and motivation for standing for the Committee
- should submit their self-nomination by 6pm CET on 31 October 2023 (see what time this is for you). Candidates should apply using this form.
The nominations and their attached information will be shared with the Chair of the EU Regional Division Committee, and the members of the Regional Council, to aid in their decision-making. The Chair of the Committee will make an initial selection from the candidacies received, which will be approved by the Regional Council.