Call for nominations: IFLA Advisory Committee on Freedom of Access to Information and Freedom of Expression (FAIFE) – term of office August 2019 – August 2021
05 November 2018
On behalf of the Governing Board of IFLA, I am writing to invite you make one nomination for a place on the IFLA Advisory Committee on Freedom of Access to Information and Freedom of Expression.
The deadline for the receipt of nominations at IFLA Headquarters is 15 February 2019. No late submissions will be accepted.
Freedom of Access to Information and Freedom of Expression (FAIFE) is an initiative within IFLA with a mission to defend and promote the basic human rights defined in Article 19 of the Universal Declaration of Human Rights. FAIFE provides advice to the Governing Board and Secretary General on these issues in relation to IFLA’s strategic directions, and works in consultation with other relevant IFLA professional programmes and sections.
The responsibilities of the FAIFE Advisory Committee are to:
- advise the Governing Board on freedom of access to information and freedom of expression in all aspects, directly or indirectly related to library and information services;
- monitor the state of intellectual freedom affecting the library and information community worldwide;
- promote awareness of and activities related to freedom of access to information and freedom of expression;
- encourage reflection on and activities supporting the understanding of fundamental library principles and ethics;
- support IFLA policy development on freedom of access to information and freedom of expression aspects, directly or indirectly related to library and information services,
- collaborate with IFLA’s advisory committees and professional units where specific expertise may be provided by FAIFE or drawn from IFLA’s committees and their networks;
- cooperate with other international human rights organisations, and respond to violations of freedom of access to information and freedom of expression as defined in Article 19 of the Universal Declaration of Human Rights.
Nominations will be considered for the term of office 2019-2021.
Only one nomination will be accepted from each Association and Institutional Member. The Board takes into account the need to ensure wide geographical representation on the Advisory Committee.
For reference, please see the list of current members of the FAIFE Committee and Terms of Reference.
Nominees should have:
- significant interest and expertise in the issues within the Advisory Committee’s terms of reference
- the ability to report authoritatively on the state of the affairs in their own country and its region, and actively promote freedom of access to information and freedom of expression issues.
- A demonstrably reasonable expectation of being able to attend (without cost to IFLA) the business and professional meetings of the Advisory Committee. The business meetings are usually held before and during the IFLA World Library and Information Congress beginning in Athens, Greece, in August 2019 and up to and including August 2021, and mid-terms in March or April;
- a working knowledge of at least one of the working languages of IFLA (Arabic, Chinese, English, French, German, Russian and Spanish). Since the business meetings of IFLA are generally conducted in English, reasonable fluency in this language is necessary to be able to fully participate as a member of the IFLA/FAIFE Advisory Committee; and
- the ability and willingness to contribute regularly to the work of the Advisory Committee in between congresses.
The Chair of the FAIFE Committee, Martyn Wade, will advise Governing Board on the selection of names from amongst those nominated.
The IFLA/FAIFE Advisory committee consists of 10 elected members. The Secretary General (or my representative), and the Chair of the Advisory Committee on Copyright and other Legal Matters also attend in an ex officio capacity.
The Governing Board will appoint the members of the Advisory Committee and successful nominees will be informed by May 2019 so that they can make arrangements to attend the IFLA World Library and Information Congress in Athens, Greece, August 2019.
Please use only the enclosed nomination form.*
I am looking forward to receiving your response.
*Nomination forms, including supporting information, were dispatched to all voting Members of IFLA on 6 November 2018.