IFLA Governing Board meeting report, 27 February 2023
14 March 2023
IFLA’s Governing Board met online on 27 February 2023, with a strong focus on continuing to deliver on the Plan for Securing IFLA’s Future, and to provide direction and guidance to the Federation over the coming months.
At the meeting the following decisions were taken and the following actions were agreed upon:
- An updated report on delivering the Plan for Securing IFLA’s Future will again be shared, underlining the progress being made.
- The Governing Board received an update on the process for hiring a new Secretary General for IFLA. The process is on track and on time with interviews to be held in early April.
- The Governing Board reviewed and approved the revised budget for IFLA in 2023, with reduced expenditures in order to ensure balanced books.
- The Governing Board approved the new IFLA Code of Ethics and Conduct for Members of the Governing Board. The new Code incorporates conduct in addition to ethics, a requirement to work toward increased diversity of participation and strengthened the focus on fairness, impartiality, transparency, integrity and trust. Current Board members will sign this document and incoming Board members will sign the code at their first meeting. It was further recommended that a code of conduct for all IFLA volunteers be developed by the next Governing Board during their term.
- The Governing Board approved the IFLA Handbook to accompany the Statutes and Rules of Procedure, aiming to make these easier to work with in practice. The Handbook will now be formatted and published.
- The Governing Board approved a set of Principles for Responding to Situations of Conflict, complementing our existing Principles of Engagement. These principles respond to the request made by Members at our 2022 General Assembly. They will be available on the IFLA website.
- The Governing Board considered the role of the IFLA Parliamentarian as determined in the Handbook and Code. The recruitment process for a person to act as the IFLA Parliamentarian will be launched in the coming month.
- Election process: IFLA will coordinate a series of video interviews with candidates for the role of President-elect, Treasurer and Governing Board member at large in order to give Members an opportunity to hear from them before casting their votes in the elections.
- The Governing Board approved a concept for hybrid participation at the World Library and Information Congress 2023. The concept includes an offer for online delegates and registration fees, hybrid sessions, online participation in business meetings, regional hubs and more. The Governing Board is delighted that a number of trials and innovations for WLIC in Rotterdam can occur due to support from the Dutch library field.
- IFLA will hold the 2023 General Assembly during WLIC in Rotterdam and will utilise a hybrid format allowing Members who cannot attend to be online and vote in real time on motions during the meeting.
- The Governing Board discussed bids submitted for IFLA WLIC 2024, and next steps in determining the venue of the congress.
You will see the results of these decisions in the coming weeks and months. Stay tuned to IFLA channels – the website, IFLA-L and social media.
Barbara Lison, IFLA President on behalf of the IFLA Governing Board.