IFLA Green Library Award 2021
21 December 2020
Objectives of the IFLA Green Library Award
• To reward green library / green library projects that best communicate their commitment to environmental sustainability
• To create awareness of libraries’ social responsibility and leadership in environmental education
• To support the worldwide green library movement, concerned with
o environmentally sustainable buildings
o environmentally sustainable services, activities, programming, information resources, collections and projects
o conservation of resources and energy
• To promote the development of green library initiatives locally, regionally and worldwide
• To encourage all types of libraries to actively present their green activities to an international audience
Following the IFLA Key Initiative 4.1: Promoting libraries within the United Nations 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development the award will help to advance the profession through illuminating the role of libraries and librarians in the advancement of sustainability standards and the promotion of specialized knowledge within professional practice.
Guidelines for submissions
Any type of green library or any outstanding green library project, initiative or idea may apply for the IFLA Green Library Award. Libraries with a small budget but a great impact are explicitly invited to participate in the competition!
The green library, project, initiative or idea may be presented in various ways (e.g. essay, video, poster, article, set of slides):
• Applications must be written in one of the seven IFLA languages.
• Applications in languages other than English must have an English abstract.
• Film and video materials in languages other than English must have English subtitles.
• Applications should be max. 10 MB in size, unless a video is also published on YouTube.
The presentation of the project, initiative or idea should be submitted to the international ENSULIB Award Reviewing Committee.
The quality and relevance of the project, initiative or idea will be evaluated by the ENSULIB Award Reviewing Committee in terms of:
• Applicability to the goals and the scope of ENSULIB
• Contribution of libraries to the UN Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs)
• Quality of the overall presentation, public visualization via website etc.
• Relevance to IFLA’s goals and values (Key Initiative 4.1)
Download the application form: [English – MS Word]
Submit applications before 28 February 2021 15 March 2021 (extended deadline) to: Dr. Petra Hauke, ENSULIB Secretary, E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Notification of the winners and runners-up will be sent in May 2021.
Finalists will be presented at the virtual 87th IFLA World Library and Information Congress 2021