International Essay Competition: “Relevance of Ranganathan”
03 June 2022
The Central University of Haryana Department Of Library & Information Science Announces the “International Essay Competition in remembrance of Padma Shri Dr. S. R. Ranganathan”
Essay competition information
The Department of Library and Information Science, Central University of Haryana is commemorating 50 years since the passing away of Padma Shri Dr. S.R. Ranganathan. As part of the yearlong activities that began on 27th September 2021 with the theme: LIS Education after Dr. S.R. Ranganathan, the International Essay Competition in remembrance of Padma Shri Dr. S. R. Ranganathan will be held with the topic: Relevance of Ranganathan’s Approaches to the Modern Day Information World. The Section on Education and Training (SET) is participating in the planning of the competition and selection of the papers for presentation.
Relevance of Ranganathan’s Approaches to the Modern Day Information World
- Submission: 1 June – 27 July 2022
- Declaration of Result: 12 August 2022
Guidelines For Competition
- Essays can be submitted by any student of LIS school anywhere in the world
- Only one entry per entrant will be permitted
- Word limit: 1250-2000
- Language: English
- File format: MS Word [.doc]
- Citation and referencing style: APA 7th edition
- File name: “candidatename_city_country_LISSchool”
- The decision of the judges would be final
- The best five entries will be chosen and recognized with e-certificates and sponsored gifts
- All participants with submissions as per guidelines will be rewarded with a certificate of participation (COP)
- The entrant must ensure that there is no violation of copyright
- The CUH DLIS may use entries for academic and publishing purposes
For additional information, please consult the Ranganathan Submission Details Brochure.
Applicants should submit their entry with a bona fide Certificate of Studentship from their
Library School/Department. Submissions should be made via our Google Form. The submission of the entries will be open between 01 June 2022 to 27 July 2022.
For more information, please visit the International Essay Competition webpage.
Contacts for any query
About S. R. Ranganathan
Dr. S. R. Ranganathan was a mathematician, academician, author, and librarian from India. He is considered to be the Father of Library Science in India. His birthday is observed every year as “National Librarian’s Day” on the 12th August. His fundamental thinking in the field of library science makes him an internationally well-known figure. His major contributions are the Five Laws of Library Science and the development of the first major faceted classification system, the Colon Classification. The Government of India honored him with the Padma Shri in 1957 for his contributions to the field of library science. He was recognized as National Research Professor by the Government of India in 1965 and was awarded with D.Litt. (Honorius Causa) from the University of Delhi in 1948 and the University of Pittsburg, the USA in 1964. He was also recognized as Honorary Vice-President of Library Association, the UK in 1957. The magnificence of his works gave him worldwide recognition and he is still renowned.