Applications open for the position of IFLA Parliamentarian
26 April 2023
Application Deadline: 24 May 2023
IFLA is seeking an individual with relevant knowledge and experience for the position of IFLA Parliamentarian. Due to the previous short timeframe, the call has been extended.
As set out in IFLA’s Rules of Procedure, R 16.2, the Governing Board may appoint someone who is an expert on the rules and methods of the conduct of business by boards and committees to assist the President in determining all matters of procedure for which there is no provision in these Rules.
The role of the Parliamentarian will be to assist the President or Chair of the General Assembly and also the Governing Board to ensure compliance with good decision making and meeting procedure. The independent advice from the Parliamentarian may be sought before, during or after a meeting.
The role is anticipated to require several hours of work per month, including attending meetings in person or online. This is a volunteer position, however, all reasonable out-of-pocket expenses, including travel will be met by IFLA. The term of appointment will be four (4) years.
Individuals interested in the position should address the following criteria:
- demonstrated knowledge of meeting procedure, e.g. Robert’s Rules of Order;
- experience as a Board member;
- demonstrated knowledge of the IFLA Statutes and Rules of Procedure;
- willingness and ability to devote time and energy to the role – this is usually several hours per month, in addition to attendance at meetings and the necessary preparation;
- ability to recognize the need to protect personal and privileged information (including compliance with the General Data Protection Regulation);
- the Parliamentarian must declare any conflicts of interest and abstain from discussions where they have a conflict or potential conflict of interest, and abide by IFLA’s Code of Ethics for Volunteers (once approved);
- Provision of the names of two referees who can support their claim.
Candidates are asked to submit a CV and statement addressing their motivation and response to the criteria for this position by 17:00 CEST Wednesday 24 May 2023. Please submit applications to email@example.com with the subject line: ‘Parliamentarian Application’. For further information, please contact the Acting Secretary General, Helen Mandl.
Applications will subsequently be reviewed by a working group of the Governing Board who will make a recommendation to the Governing Board for appointment.
Acting Secretary General