*REMINDER* Professional Unit Communication Award 2016 – Call for nominations
23 June 2016
DEADLINE: 30 June 2016
Communicating effectively is critical for an international and distributed organization like IFLA. With stakeholders including IFLA Members and individuals working in libraries – some of whom might not yet be involved in IFLA, as well as policy makers, and influential organisations also interested in literacy, cultural heritage, libraries, information technologies and development, messages must be clearly delivered and successful in producing the desired result.
IFLA’s Professional Units (Sections, Special Interest Groups, Divisions, Strategic Programmes and Core Activities) have, by definition, a responsibility to improve worldwide communication within their realm of expertise. In doing so, they should also be keeping IFLA Members informed about how they are doing this, inviting input to their work, and seeking suggestions for new ways to work.
To stimulate and foster this transformation IFLA has established the IFLA Professional Unit Communication Award.
This award focuses on IFLA communication activities of any IFLA Professional Unit(s) – Divisions, Sections, Special Interest Groups, Strategic Programmes and Core Activities. It is important that it is not to be perceived as a personal reward.
A general call for nominations will be made April/May each year. The IFLA Professional Unit Communication Award winner will be announced during the Closing Session at the IFLA Congress in August.
The Award intends to stimulate excellent communication and innovation by:
- Recognizing and promoting excellent examples of communication;
- Highlighting creativity in the communication work of IFLA's professional groups.
Criteria for evaluation
During the 12 months since the previous IFLA World Library and Information Congress the winning Unit(s) should have demonstrated one or more of the following:
- Effective communication about one activity or all the activities of an IFLA Professional Unit;
- Improved communication between members of the IFLA community on the areas of their specialism;
- Innovative ways of reaching out beyond the IFLA community;
- Improvements to the way in which the Standing Committee or other organizing committee members communicate.
- Employment of a communication strategy that utilizes the functionality of the IFLA web site and the tools and new technologies available, or demonstrates improvements to previous methods of communicating.
- Improvements to the accessibility of information about IFLA or its Professional Units (taking account of, for example, multilingualism, inclusiveness, technology, aesthetics/attractiveness);
- Successful advocacy materials.
Who can win?
The Award may be presented to one or more IFLA Professional Units:
- Special Interest Groups
- Strategic Programmes
- Core Activities
The IFLA Professional Unit Communication Award 2016 will be announced at the Closing Session of the IFLA World Library and Information Congress in Columbus, Ohio, United States of America on Thursday, 18 August 2016 and the winner presented with a certificate.
If you wish to nominate a Unit, or Units, for this award, please contact the Units in question (for example, via the Officers) to find out who will be present and a suitable person to collect the award during the Closing Ceremony of the World Library and Information Congress in Columbus on Thursday, 18 August 2016. Only one person can be selected. That person and details of their role relevant to the award should be included on this form.
Download the form:
Please send as an attachment to firstname.lastname@example.org by Monday, 30 June 2016.
- 27 April: announcement of call
- 30 June: deadline for nominations
- 18 August: presentation of award at Closing Ceremony
The Hague, 27 May 2016