WLIC 2014: Call for Papers: Libraries, Governments and Cultural Heritage
19 December 2013
The Government Information and Official Publications Section invites proposals for papers to be presented at the World Library and Information Congress (WLIC) in Lyon, France , August 16-22, 2014.
This session will focus on the interaction of libraries, governments and cultural heritage. National and International Government Organizations (IGOs) play a vital role in the preservation of cultural heritage trhrough their libraries and archives, programmes and distribution of government records through their national and international system of depositories. International Organizations such as UNESCO play a critical role in the preservation of cultural heritage through international agreements such as the landmark World Heritage Convention.
In particular, speakers from national and international government organizations are invited and encouraged to speak on how their organizations are preserving and promoting their country’s cultural heritage epecially in times of political, social and cultural change.
People from the following backgrounds are also encouraged to submit papers:
- International and Global Studies Librarians
- History and Cultural Studies Librarians
- Government Information Librarians
- European Studies Librarians
- Professionals working in Government Libraries and/or International Organizations
- Librarians and Archivists working in Special, Academic or Public Libraries
- Professionals working in National Libraries or National Archives
Subjects of interest include but are not limited to:
- International Organizations and Government Libraries as curators of cultural heritage
- Cultural, political and social history materials in IGO and Government Libraries
- The historical system of depository libraries: its past, present and future
- The historical value of Government Infromation and the human record
- Digital preservation of government information
- International Conventions and Cultural Heritage: the role of IGOs
- Special Collections in International Organizations and Government Libraries and Archives
Please send your proposals to Jim Church and Susan Paterson by 15 February 2014.
Complete information is available on the WLIC 2014 website.