20 January 2018
Call for Papers: Session Theme: Empowering Scholarly Communication Transforms Societies
The Serials and Other Continuing Resources Section (SOCRS) invites colleagues to submit proposals for its two-hour open session at the IFLA Congress in Kuala Lumpur on the theme “Empowering Scholarly Communication Transforms Societies."
Scholarly Communication encompasses the cycle of the creation, publication, dissemination, discovery and evaluation of scholarly research. It includes everything from data and journal articles to blog postings. Researchers, funders, publishers and, of course, librarians all have roles to play in the scholarly communication life cycle. This program will examine the pivotal role libraries play in scholarly communication. It will explore the most effective ways for libraries to be involved in the process.
We invite papers that address any one or more of the following topics:
· Partnerships and outreach in Scholarly Communication
· Ensuring a dialogue among Scholarly Communication stakeholders
· Retooling and reskilling for Scholarly Communication
· Promoting the value of Scholarly Communication
· Efforts to increase access to the output of Scholarly Communication
· Sustainable and economically viable models of Scholarly Communication
· The impact of changes in scholarly communication on collection development
· The increased role of Libraries as Publishers in Scholarly Communication
Proposals must include the following information:
· Name and institution of speaker(s)
· Contact information for speaker(s)
· Brief biographical information
· Proposal title
· Brief (250 words) abstract of the proposed paper
· Language of presentation
Proposal submission deadline: March 1st, 2018
Notification of acceptance: March 30th, 2018
Submission of completed paper: June 30th, 2018
Proposals should be sent by email to Gaelle Bequet, Secretary (firstname.lastname@example.org) and Meg Mering, Chair of the SOCR Standing Committee (email@example.com) by March 1, 2018. Finalists will be notified by March 30th
Authors are expected to read IFLA Guidelines for presenters available at https://2017.ifla.org/programme/guidelines-for-paper-authors-and-presenters and watch for the 2018 update that should be published shortly on IFLA website. Authors shall then submit final versions of their papers by following the recommendations and using one of the official IFLA languages before June 30th, 2018. Please note that in accordance with IFLA’s Open Access Statement, all papers that are presented at the WLIC 2018 should be available under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 license.
Authors needing a letter of invitation or further information shall contact Gaelle Bequet, Secretary of Serials and other Continuing Resources Section (firstname.lastname@example.org) or Margaret Mering, Chair of the Committee (email@example.com).
Note: All expenses, including registration for the conference, travel, accommodation etc., are the responsibility of the authors. No financial support can be provided by IFLA, but a special invitation can be issued to authors, if required. The Kuala Lumpur National Committee and IFLA have worked hard to secure funds for Conference Participation Grants. Up-to-date information will be available on the Conference Participation Grants webpage.