Statement of Candidacy: Maria-Carme Torras i Calvo (Norway)
For the position of Governing Board Member 2015-2017
After having served as Division Chair on the Professional Committee and as a Member of the Governing Board for nearly one term of office now, I am strongly motivated to stand for Governing Board Member for a new term, in order to continue working for our profession, associations and institutions through my work for and commitment to IFLA.
These are my main objectives as a Governing Board Member:
- To facilitate communication and collaboration between the IFLA professional units and the IFLA leadership so that professional units receive the support they need and professional activities such as projects are well aligned with IFLA’s strategic goals.
- To contribute to the development and implementation of a new strategic plan for IFLA for the coming years.
- To contribute to a review of IFLA’s current structure to ensure effective workflows and relevant activities.
- To engage in IFLA’s advocacy work to promote the visibility and significance of libraries in the context of access to information and the UN Post-2015 Development Goals.
- To contribute to follow-up work on the IFLA Trend Report in order to develop the profile and standing of libraries and library professionals for the future. This is an important task in order to better understand the evolving information landscape in which we work and live, and thus be able to benefit from the opportunities it grants citizens and libraries, as well as being aware of the challenges it poses. The focus is not just on improving our understanding, but also on using new insights to take specific action as library professionals.
- To expand partnership with external organisations to achieve IFLA’s strategic goals and to increase the visibility of IFLA and libraries worldwide.
- To represent IFLA at events and in activities as needed, as well as working to increase its membership.
Maria-Carme Torras i Calvo
Universitetsbiblioteket i Bergen