Call for nominations: Treasurer
Nominations for Position
Until IFLA General Assembly 2023
6 June 2022 18:00 CEST (see what time this is for you)
An innovation of IFLA’s Governance Review has been to make the post of Treasurer directly elected. This reflects the importance of ensuring IFLA’s financial sustainability, allowing the Federation to continue to support the library field in the long term.
As a Member of the Governing Board, the Treasurer will contribute to the Board’s overall work in overseeing the management of the Federation. The Board is responsible for governance, financial and professional matters, ensuring sustainability and developing and overseeing the strategic direction of the Federation.
In addition, the Treasurer will bring valuable experience of financial management, and chair IFLA’s Finance and Risk Committee, responsible for advising the Governing Board on the financial and risk management of the Federation.
Who can stand for this position?
Anyone can stand. Candidates do not have to be an IFLA Member or Affiliate and if elected, are elected in their own right and not as the representative of their employer or nominator.
What is the term of office?
The term of office is until the IFLA General Assembly 2023, likely to take place in August 2023. This term is renewable once, although individuals would need to stand again for re-election. It is, however, not possible to serve more than two consecutive terms on the Governing Board except as President-elect or President.
What are the roles and responsibilities for this position?
The Treasurer is an elected position to the Governing Board. As a Governing Board member, they are responsible, alongside other members, for the management of the Federation, overseeing governance, financial and professional matters, ensuring sustainability, and developing and overseeing the strategic direction of the Federation. In performing their duties, the Governing Board shall act in accordance with Federation’s core values.
As with other Governing Board members, the Treasurer should have a global perspective; an interest in library politics and advocacy; a commitment to the aims and core values of IFLA; and a desire to work collaboratively in dealing with issues for the profession.
In addition, the Treasurer will be Chair of the FInance and Risk Committee, which is responsible for advising the Governing Board on the financial and risk management of the Federation. The Committee will work to oversee and provide advice on IFLA’s finances to the Governing Board, and set out a path towards IFLA’s long-term financial sustainability. In their leadership role, the Treasurer will take responsibility for advancing this work, and developing strategies to deliver on this objective.
What skills and attributes do I need for this position?
Candidates for this position should be able to demonstrate:
- expertise, experience and interest in/across the library field;
- experience in financial management, fundraising and risk management at a senior level;
- an understanding of strategic planning, implementation and review processes;
- proven leadership skills, with experience in communication, representation and networking, an ability to leverage networks, and an interest in library politics and advocacy;
- willingness and ability to devote time and energy to the role – this is usually several hours per month, in addition to meetings and the necessary preparation for this;
- time allowance to prepare and attend meetings of the Governing Board, and financial resources to attend at least the IFLA annual Congress;
- an ability to act with respect, trust, confidentiality and transparency within the Governing Board and recognize the need to protect personal and privileged information. They must declare any conflicts of interest and abstain from discussions where they have a conflict or potential conflict of interest.
How many nominations do I need?
Each candidate requires at least five (5) nominations for this position.
Who can be a nominator?
IFLA Members and Affiliates can nominate individuals for this position. They have received an Election email containing information describing how they can submit a nomination. Each Member or Affiliate can nominate one (1) candidate for this position.
How do I find an nominator?
Check the list of IFLA Members and Association Affiliates found on the Membership page. Contact IFLA members in your country or region and ask if they are willing to nominate you.
How do I submit my nominee consent form?
Those wishing to stand as a candidate will need to submit a nominee consent form (see link below) for this position. This should be done once nominators have been found. In this form you will be asked to provide a 300-500 word statement describing how you demonstrate the skills and attributes required.
A nomination only becomes valid when there is a match between the number of required nominations and a completed nominee consent form.
Go back to our elections landing page.