Permanent UNIMARC Committee (PUC)
The Permanent UNIMARC Committee (PUC) was formed in 1991, in accordance with resolution No. 5 issued at the Seminar on Bibliographic Records held in Stockholm before the IFLA General Conference, August 1990. The main objective of the PUC is to control the UNIMARC format in accordance with the principles of Universal Bibliographic Control.
The PUC consists of a minimum of 7 and no more than 9 standing members, who are experts in UNIMARC and come from different countries and institutions having active UNIMARC experience. A maximum of 12 corresponding experts may be appointed for a two-year term by the Committee in consultation with the IFLA UNIMARC Strategic Programme to represent other geographical areas of UNIMARC expertise.
- Chair: Gordana MaziÄ, Slovenia
- Vice Chair: Jay Weitz, USA
- Rosa Galvão, Portugal
- Olga Zhlobinskaya, Russia
- Héloïse Lecomte, France
- Genovaite Rutkauskiene, Lithuania
- Saeedeh Akbari-Daryan, Iran
- Honorary member and special consultant: Mirna Willer, Croatia
- Corresponding members: Flavia Bruni, Italy; Stanislaw Golubtsov, Russia; Branka Badovinac, Slovenia
Since 2003 the PUC has been functioning within the UNIMARC Strategic Programme. For earlier UNIMARC activities see the Universal Bibliographic Control and International MARC Core Activity (UBCIM).
Terms of Reference
The main objective of the PUC is to maintain and develop the UNIMARC formats. In this role, the PUC
- Maintains the UNIMARC format by discussing proposals documented by the UNIMARC Office on behalf of UNIMARC users and officially approving changes to the format. It liaises with Bibliography, Cataloguing and Classification & Indexing Sections, as well as with related Review Groups, on matters of mutual interest.
- Reviews the further development of the UNIMARC format to encompass new functions and new forms of materials and officially approves the results.
- Acts as a review committee for UNIMARC documentation published by IFLA.
The Permanent UNIMARC Committee meets once a year. Reports from the official meetings are available online:
- 29th PUC Meeting 2019, May 9-10 (Final Draft Minutes)
- 29th PUC Meeting 2019, May 9-10 (Final Draft Report)
- 28th PUC Meeting 2018, March 22-23
- 27th PUC Meeting, 2017, March 20-21
- 26th PUC Meeting, 2016, April 4-6 (Report)
- 25th PUC Meeting, 2015 March 30-31
- 24th PUC Meeting, 2014 May, 12-13
- 23rd PUC Meeting, 2012 March 12-13
- 22nd PUC Meeting, 2011 March 14-15
- 21th PUC Meeting, 2010 March 29-30
- 20th PUC Meeting, 2009 March 9-10
- 19th PUC Meeting, 2008 March 12-13
- 18th PUC Meeting, 2007 March 12-14
- 17th PUC Meeting, 2006 March 22-24
- 16th PUC Meeting, 2005 March 7-9
- 15th PUC Meeting, 2004 March 15-17
- 14th PUC Meeting, 2003 February 3-4
Reports of informal meetings at the IFLA General Conference:
- Informal meeting 2019, October 2, online
- Informal meeting 2019, August 27, Athens, Greece
- Informal meeting 2018, August 26, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
- Informal meeting 2017, August 22 and 24, WrocÅaw, Poland
The PUC is responsible for the preparation and dissemination of IFLA publications and other documentation regarding UNIMARC.
See the complete information regarding UNIMARC publications.
Related UNIMARC and MARC Resources
- Comité français UNIMARC (CfU)
- National RUSMARC Service
- Department of Information Retrieval Languages and Subject Indexing the National Library of Russia (RUSMARC Expert Council)
- MARC Standards / Library of Congress Network Development and MARC Standards Office
- ALCTS/LITA Metadata Standards Committee (successor of the Machine-Readable Bibliographic Information (MARBI) Committee, discontinued in 2013)
- Canadian Committee on Metadata Exchange (formerly Canadian Committee on MARC)
- OCLC Bibliographic Formats and Standards
- BIC Library Metadata Group (UK Committee on MARC)
- Institute of Information Science (IZUM) – COMARC Standards
UNIMARC is easy to use and provides a flexible record structure. If you are a UNIMARC user or if you would like to become one and have questions about its application or if you have suggestions to make, please contact the PUC Chair or the IFLA UNIMARC Core Activity Director.
Chair, Permanent UNIMARC Committee
IZUM – Institute of Information Science
Prešernova ulica 17, 2000 Maribor
Tel. +386 2 252 03 31