Linked Data Technical (LIDATEC) Review Group Committee Member
Appointments: LIDATEC Review Group Committee Member
Term: August 2023-August 2027
Appointments will be made by the Advisory Committee on Standards 13 March – 12 April 2023
Who can stand for this position?
Anyone can stand. Candidates do not have to be an IFLA Member or Affiliate and if elected, are elected in their own right and not as the representative of their employer or nominator. LIDATEC Review Group Members require a skill set specific to the work, particularly in the area of linked data and RDF publishing, to be successful.
What is the term of office?
Review Group Committee members complete four-year terms renewable through re-election. Individuals may be a member of only one Review Group but may serve as a liaison to multiple groups.
What are the roles and responsibilities for this position?
LIDATEC supports the linked data and namespaces activities of IFLA professional units by assisting in the publishing of standards, and in providing training and support to these activities. The committee has a responsibility to:
- Coordinate the development of namespaces by IFLA groups who wish to publish standards in a linked data form;
- Develop and promote guidelines for the efficient and effective management of IFLA namespaces;
- Develop training materials for units wishing to publish their standards in the namespace registry;
- Oversee the maintenance of the infrastructure to support the efficient and effective management of IFLA namespaces;
- Support the Committee on Standards in areas of linked data and the Semantic Web;
- Act as liaison with non-IFLA groups involved in the organization of information as linked data in the Semantic Web;
- Promote and make more visible the IFLA namespaces and encourage their use in all appropriate communities.
What skills and attributes do I need for this position?
Candidates for this position should be able to demonstrate:
- expertise, experience and interest in the area of linked data and the Semantic Web;
- proven ability to contribute meaningfully as part of a committee, in order to develop work that supports the wider library field;
- willingness and ability to devote time and energy to the role – this is usually a few hours per month;
- time allowance to prepare and attend meetings of the Review Group, and financial resources to attend at least the IFLA annual Congress;
- an ability to act with respect, trust, confidentiality and transparency and recognize the need to protect personal and privileged information. They must declare any conflicts of interest and abstain from discussions where they have a conflict or potential conflict of interest.
How many nominations do I need?
Each candidate requires one (1) nomination for this position.
Who can be a nominator?
IFLA Members can nominate individuals for this position. They have received an election email containing information describing how they can submit a nomination.
How many candidates can each Member nominate for this position?
Each Member can nominate six (6) candidates for this position.
How do I find a nominator?
Check the list of IFLA Members. You may contact them asking to be nominated.
How do I submit my nominee form?
Those wishing to stand as a candidate will need to submit a nominee form for this position. This should be done once a nominator has been found. In this form you will also be asked to provide a statement of up to 200 words describing how you demonstrate the skills and attributes required.
A nomination only becomes valid when there is a match between the number of required nominations and a completed nominee form.
Consult LIDATEC website to learn more about the remit of this Review Group.