Call for papers – Artificial Intelligence and Libraries: Transforming Information Access and Discovery
20 October 2023
Artificial Intelligence and Libraries: Transforming Information Access and Discovery
University of Chile, Santiago, Chile, 11 April, 2024
The IFLA Information Technology Section and IFLA Artificial Intelligence (AI) Special Interest Group in collaboration with the University of Chile and Library of the National Congress of Chile are pleased to announce the upcoming international symposium on AI and Libraries. The symposium is also held in conjunction with the 10th Congress of University and Specialized Libraries, the region’s leading library conference.
Artificial intelligence (AI) is rapidly transforming the way we access and use information. In libraries, AI is being used to improve a wide range of operations and services, from collection development to reference assistance to patron engagement. The symposium will explore the intersection of AI and libraries, and the latest trends and developments in how AI is impacting the role and operation of libraries. It will bring together leading experts, researchers, librarians, and technology enthusiasts to share knowledge, exchange ideas, and envision the future of libraries in the era of AI.
We are seeking proposals for presentations, workshops, and posters on all aspects of AI and libraries, information and/or documentation centres. Topics of interest include, but not limited to:
- AI in library and/or documentation centres activities, e.g. collection development (predictive systems) and curation, reference assistance, inventory development, and patron engagement
- AI to automate tasks, e.g. subject indexing, and metadata creation
- AI to provide new insights into user behavior and personalizing user experiences
- AI to create new library services
- AI to provide library chatbots and voice agents
- AI technologies including natural language processing, machine and deep learning platforms, text mining, speech/facial recognition, multi format content recognition and processing, virtual agents, and decision management
- Use of Generative AI tools in libraries, e.g. Chat GPT, Copilot, Images.ai, etc.
- Responsible use of AI, including algorithmic bias, privacy, and transparency
- Promoting AI literacy, including data literacies, search algorithms and algorithmic literacy
- Developing skills and capacity for AI work in the information services sector
All proposals should include:
- Name, title, institution, country, and email of speaker(s)
- Title of proposed presentation
- Abstract of presentation (max 300 words)
- Language of presentation
- Format (presentation, panel, workshop, demonstration, poster, etc.)
- Brief biographical statement about each speaker (max 100 words)
Proposals are due by 31 December, 2023, and notification of acceptance by 15 January, 2024. All proposals and presentation slides will be required to be in English. The preferred languages for the presentations at the Symposium are English and Spanish for simultaneous translation.
All proposals and questions should be submitted by email to both:
Cory Lampert | firstname.lastname@example.org
Chair, IFLA IT Section
May Chang | email@example.com
Mentor, IFLA IT Section
31 December, 2023 – Deadline for submission of proposal abstract
15 January, 2024 – Notification of acceptance
15 March, 2024 – Deadline for submission of presentation slides
11 April, 2024 – AI Symposium
- At least one of the authors must be present to deliver the presentation during the AI Symposium.
- All presentation slides will be made available online via the IFLA Library under the Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 license. Please refer to the Guidelines for Presenters for details.
- All expenses for attending the Symposium (e.g., travel, accommodation, etc.) are the responsibility of the authors/presenters. No financial support can be provided by IFLA or the organizers but a special invitation letter can be issued to authors.
We look forward to receiving your proposals and your participation. Mark your calendar for the AI Symposium 11 April, 2024 which follows the 10th Congress of University and Specialized Libraries at the University of Chile, 9-10 April, 2024!