IFLA Green Library Award 2023: Call for Submissions
19 December 2022
IFLA Green Library Award 2023
Administered by ENSULIB, the IFLA Section on Environment, Sustainability and Libraries
Objectives of the IFLA Green Library Award
- To reward a Green library / Green library project that best communicates a commitment to environmental sustainability
- To create awareness of libraries’ social responsibility and leadership in environmental education
- To support the worldwide green library movement, concerned with
- environmentally sustainable buildings
- environmentally sustainable services, activities, programming, information resources, collections and projects
- conservation of resources and energy
- To promote the development of green library initiatives locally, regionally and worldwide
- To encourage all types of libraries to actively present their green activities to an international audience
In line with IFLA Key Initiative 1.1: Show the power of libraries in achieving the Sustainable Development Goals, the award helps to advance the profession through illuminating the role of libraries and librarians in the advancement of sustainability standards and the promotion of specialized knowledge within professional practice.
The prize is awarded in two categories:
- Category 1: Best Green Library/Grand-Scale Project
- Category 2: Best Green Library Project
A special recognition may be given to a project that was carried out with minimal resources but has a significant impact.
Guidelines for submissions
Any type of Green Library or library with an outstanding Green Library Project may apply for the IFLA Green Library Award. Libraries with a small budget but a great impact are explicitly invited to participate in the competition!
The Green Library/Grand-Scale Project or Green Library Project may be presented in various ways (e.g. essay, video, poster, article, set of slides):
- Applications must be written in one of the seven official IFLA languages
- Applications in languages other than English must have an English translation (required)
- Film and video materials in languages other than English must have English subtitles.
- Applications should be max. 10 MB in size, unless a video is also published on YouTube.
The quality and relevance of the submission will be evaluated by the international ENSULIB Award Reviewing Committee for:
- Applicability to the goals and the scope of ENSULIB
- Contribution to the UN Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs)
- Quality of the overall presentation, public visualization via website etc.
- Relevance to IFLA’s goals and values
Notification of the Short-list finalists will be sent in May 2023.
Finalists will be presented at 88th IFLA World Library and Information Congress 2023.