IFLA Green Library Award 2021
ENSULIB announces its 6th IFLA Green Library Award 2021 Shortlist in two categories
With generous sponsorship from De Gruyter Publishing (Boston/Berlin), ENSULIB circulated a Call for Submissions for the IFLA Green Library Award for the sixth year in a row. Any type of green library or any outstanding green library project, initiative or idea was invited to apply for the IFLA Green Library Award. Libraries with a small budget but a great impact were explicitly invited to participate in the competition. Deadline for submissions was 15 March 2021.
All submitted applications received by ENSULIB were firstly checked to determine if they were properly prepared and follow the guidelines for submissions. These applications were selected for the longlist.
The quality and relevance of the project, initiative or idea will be evaluated by the independent international ENSULIB Award Reviewing Committee in terms of:
- Applicability to the goals and the scope of ENSULIB
- Contribution of libraries to the UN Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs)
- Quality of the overall presentation, public visualization via website etc.
- Relevance to IFLA’s goals and values (Key Initiative 4.1)
To ENSULIB’s great delight, despite the global pandemic and its massive impact on libraries 33 submissions were received from around the world, including Argentina, Australia, Austria, Bulgaria, Canada, China, Colombia, Croatia, Cuba, Finland, France, Germany, India, Iran, Italy, Lebanon, Russia, Slovenia, Spain, Switzerland, Ukraine, and United States.
See the full IFLA Green Library Award 2021 nominated shortlist in two categories listed alphabetically by country below.
The two finalists of the IFLA Green Library Award 2021 in the categories “Green Library” and “Green Library Project” will be announced during the virtual World Library and Information Congress 17/19 August 2021.
Shortlist “Green Library”
- Australia, Altona — Hobsons Bay Libraries (EnviroCentre), EnviroCentre @Hobsons Bay Libraries
- Canada, Edmonton — The Edmonton Public Library, Edmonton Public Library
- China, Shenzhen — Pingshan Library, Green Efforts of Pingshan Library
- Slovenia, Ormož — Knjižnica Ormož. Green Library – Uniting the Local Community on its Road to Sustainabilit
Shortlist “Green Library Project”
- Cuba, Santa Clara, V.C. — Asociación Cubana de Bibliotecarios, Villa Clara Branch, BiblioVerde, un espacio para compartir y aprender en armonía con la naturaleza
- Finland, Oulu — Oulu City Library, A Responsible Library as Promoter of Environmental Awareness
- Spain, Valsaín (Segovia) — National Center of Environmental Education (CENEAM) – National Parks – Ministry for the Ecological Transition and the Demographic Challenge, RECIDA, The Spanish Network of Green Libraries working for Sustainability
- US, NY, Saratoga Springs — Southern Adirondack Library System, Farm-2-Library Program
ENSULIB, May 2021